Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Talk to me about roll cabs/tool chests
  • IA

My tool situation is getting out of hand, I need something with a bunch of drawers to store it in.

What do you use/recommend? Other tool/part storage solutions?

I’ve looked at the Halfords stuff, the cheaply range is a bit nasty, the professional and industrial look decent but are currently a bit pricey.

Ideally something I could go look at in/near Bristol as if I order online I can’t be sure if it’s decent or not.

Gratioutious tool/workshop pics welcome 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

For the money you can’t really be a the Halfords industrial range when they’re on special or the big roll cab/top box set they do in Costco.

I’ve currently got the Halfords cheaper set and they do the job well but I think I’m going to change for the black industrial boxes next time they’re on special.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Halfords industrial here. Very happy.

IA

What makes the industrial (black ones) preferable to the professional (more expensive of the red ones)? The cheapest red ones have slightly shonky drawers but the pro ones seem ok?

Will investigate Costco..

fasthaggis

Have a look on eBay ,some decent stuff comes up .
    Just ignore the bargain ones made from tinfoil 😉

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the Halfords stuff, the cheaply range is a bit nasty, the professional and industrial look decent but are currently a bit pricey.

I spent a long time looking at roll cabs/chests. The red halfords ones feel a bit cheap so I went for the ‘industrial’ ones. Had a look on ebay too but just watch the sizing as the cheap ones tend to be quite narrow.

I got the roll cab, tool chest and 170 piece socket set for £399, halfords had a 10% off everything deal going for a few hours one day, bought Halfords vouchers through work with 10% discount and used my British cycling membership to take another 10% off – total cost was £290 plus I sold my old socket set for £40. Plus 3% back through quidco.

Halfords now do a middle chest so I’ll be adding that when they do another 10% off thing.

I’m really pleased with them, great quality and well worth the money.

Edit: got my price wrong it was initially £399.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Worth getting one with ball or roller bearings on the drawer runners, makes a difference when the drawers start to get a bit fuller.

ninfan
    Free Member

My problem with the halfords ‘black’ is that it’s all shallow drawers

The ‘professional red’ has a couple of decent deep drawers that will fit saddles, chainsets, boxed tyres etc.

Agreed the cheapest one (with a folding door on the bottom half) is just tinny and horrible.

kayla1
    Free Member

We got a ‘professional’ red cabinet a few years ago and it’s lasted really well, all of the drawers run on bearings and the two larger ones at the bottom are deep enough to get a grinder and other large stuff in.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

My problem with the halfords ‘black’ is that it’s all shallow drawers

The roll cab has a deep drawer at the bottom, the middle chest also has a deep drawer. There’s nothing to stop you buying roll cab and middle chest only if you don’t need that many drawers but need 2 deep ones.

The red set is also red which almost immediately made it a no for me, black looks much cooler in my garage 🙂

simon_g

Halfords Pro is good when it’s on offer, which is every few months.

I use a couple of “really useful” plastic boxes for bike spares so I keep the tool chest just for tools.

IA

So basically everyone’s saying wait for a halfords offer?

Shame, I was hoping for an option I could lay my hands on sooner. I guess I don’t really want to spend more than £200z

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had the Halfords cabinets before and they weren’t the best quality. Ended up giving them to my brother who has since replaced them too.
    I replaced them with Clarke cabinets and chests which are in a different league. Built very solid and the powder coating hasn’t cracked despite some very hard knocks.
    I’ve seen the ones in Costco and if I hadn’t already bought the Clarke ones I would have got them as they are a bargain.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth getting yourself on Machine Mart’s mailing list, they’ll regularly send you VAT-free shopping notifications.May also be worth a look at Axminster Tools, not too far from Bristol, they’ve got a good selection of machinery and power tools, so i’d guess they have tool chests too.

IA

Craigxxl – which Clarke ones do you have? They have various ranges.

simon_g

Yes, Machine Mart were doing one of their regular “VAT free” things on Clarke but it ended on Monday.

Halfords are doing the black Industrial ones (top, middle & big chest) for £349 which is decent value for what it is. Could possibly sell on one piece if that’s too far over budget.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

If anyone in west of scotland wants top and bottom only I can get the full bundle deal for £283.49 and I’ll take the middle chest.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Craigxxl – which Clarke ones do you have? They have various ranges

I have the blue line ones. 6 drawer chest (in hindsight the 9 drawer would be better) and a 7 drawer cabinet.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about roll cabs/tool chests’ is closed to new replies.