• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • talk to me about road bike wheels
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Handbuilt or off shelf?

If the first, what rims and hubs?

If the second what’s good?

Campag or fulcrum or mavic? Or someone else?

Budget it’s max 300 notes, want a nice light set of wheels.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve always used handbuild wheels , better to get spares for and easy to true if the worst happens
    It’s just for some people they are not flash enough

Rim hub and spoke choice depends on what you want from the wheels
    Light weight above all else or somthing that will last an age

Mavic open pro rims are very good
    And maybe either hope or shimano hubs

RealMan
    Free Member

Superstar are doing road wheels now…

But for £300, I’d always recommend shimano rs80s. Lovely.

andrewh
    Free Member

Handbuilt for the reasons above.
    For that price I would look at second hand, certainly for the hubs, CK Classics if you get lucky, DA should be withing budget. Open Pros, not fancy but do the job just fine. Can you build them yourself? Buildin at a decent shop would be £40/50 of your budget.
    [EDIT] Not mine but a pair of new DA hubs on Open Pros on fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Open-Pro-Bicycle-Bike-Cycling-Shimano-Dura-Ace-7800-Wheel-Set-Grey-CD-/130822523169?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e75a14921 £270. It’s last year’s DA but who cares?

RealMan
    Free Member

Both pretty heavy and nearly double the price compared to a set from superstar though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, pretty much, Ksyrium equipes arent worth bothering with.

Just Riding Along build decent wheels cheaper than most spots, see what they recommend for your budget.

Depends how heavy you are as to what you should get.

But if you want light weight then probably 28 rear and 24 front? The only light rims I can think of are Stand Alphas or Kinlins, and Velocity Aeroheads (but a touch heavier)

Rev spokes on the front, comps on the back. I’ve got some Stans built with this setup and they’re spot on. I did initially have lighter spokes on the back but I kept knackering my wheels.

Bez

I’m big and heavy and found my RS10s broke spokes because the lacing pattern was silly, and the spokes were hard to get and expensive because they were straight bladed ones. So I got rid of them.

So I handbuilt mine with Excellights, 105s and a mix of Revs and Comps, and they suit me fine. At that budget (well, my budget was £200), having 32+ spokes means lighter rims, means nicer wheels.

If you’re on the small side it’s less of an issue, though the bit about rims in low-spoke-count wheels at that price being heavier than need be probably still stands.

DT78
    Free Member

Pro lite braccianos. Mine are very good. Would buy again.

Anthony
    Free Member

Those Braccianos at sub 1500g for a £300 factory wheelset were what came up top trumps on the last similar road wheel thread.

For the price they do seem rather good.

What are freehub spares like for the Chinese hubs? Tempting at that price as personally I was looking at the same 1300g build but on American Classics, but at £200 more expensive it’s now become a head scratcher!

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

From what ive read those hubs are from the same factory as the AC’s and use the same internals…

Dunno about replacements v0v

oldgit
    Free Member

Mavic Open Pro on Hope Pro 3 under budget.

That’s what I’d call a basic but good wheelset.
    Standard and available spokes, good spares service from Hope, easy rim swap.
    Tough, reasonably good weight.
    Won’t send you sideways in a crosswind.

parisroubaix

Agree at that budget go for handbuilts for all the reasons already stated. The handbuilts on the hardly used second hand market via ebay and the like go cheap- I once saw a set of tune hubs on DT rims with sapim spokes go for just 311 quid and they had been used once.

DT78
    Free Member

If you are patient you will get the baraccainos much cheaper. I picked them up from CRC about 4 months ago when they were £230.

I did a lot of research, couldnt beat £ per gram. Was worried they might be poor quality (my other wheelset are mavic cosmic carbones) but nothing wrong with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about road bike wheels’ is closed to new replies.