Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Talk to me about rigid 29er forks
  • miketually
    Free Member

Bearing in mind cheapness is a consideration, so carbon is pretty much ruled out:

* Kona Project II
    * Surly Karate Monkey
    * Salsa Cromoto

Pros? Cons? Weight? Trail? Niceness?

ski
    Free Member

Mike, how much are On-One doing their carbon ones for?

Are they out of your price range?

miketually
    Free Member

On-One Carbons are £140, which is double the most expensive one above.

I won’t know an exact price range until the insurance people get back in touch. And carbon scares me a bit 🙂

ikimbunza
    Free Member

Sorry for the blatant plug but i’ve got some new Kona Project 2’s going spare if you are interested. 29er, disc only in black with a small mark to one leg. Uncut steerer. £40 posted.

Keeping this on topic…

I have P2’s on another bike and they are lovely. Not too heavy and a nice hardwearing finish. I also have some Singular forks and the P2’s are a bit more ‘direct’ with less flex, but the Singular forks are slightly more comfortable for me, partly because of the greater offset i think, though Sam could put me right on this.

Depends what you look for in a fork but the P2’s track well, are relatively comfortable, are hard wearing and look nice. All good really.

Chris

takisawa2

16st+ here hamfistedly bashing On-One carbons around. Hell, I even left the ground on Cannock Monkey Trail, albeit briefly. I tried rigid steel forks, but too harsh for me. Stick some std dia carbon bars & big grips & its plenty comfy.
    The carbon Police will tell you I’m on borrowed time.
    My psychiatrist tells me not.

Keef
    Free Member

exotic carbons,under a ton and waaaaay beterer than steel…

tk46hal
    Free Member

Exotic carbon +1

danti

Check them out here…

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=197&

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Are they to replace current rigids or bouncy forks?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Singular steel ones rock.
    I’ve had both these and exotic carbons and would use the Singular ones evrey time. They are great !

doof_doof
    Free Member

I find my Singular fork *very* flexy. I can make the rotor rub when climbing out of the saddle. The price you pay for a compliant ride and a long fork I guess.
    The fork alignment is also incredibly poor, with the wheel not centred between the legs (flipping the wheel has the same result, so it’s not wheel dish).

miketually
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

They’re to go on a new build, but I’ve always ridden rigid forks.

I have the On-One CroMo forks on a bike at the moment. They’re fine, but heavy and fugly.

I’m sure carbon would be fine. I’m only 70kg and I never break stuff, but I just can’t bring myself to pay that much for rigid forks.

twinklydave

AS a few peeps have said above: Exotic carbon’s…with the aluminium steerer they’re £85 – I’ve got a pair on a TD1 ATM, seemed nice on a quick lap round the mary towneley loop on Sunday

miketually
    Free Member

I think the Exotics might have it. I can justify* spending £20 over a steel fork for carbons, but not double.

*to the wife

Keef
    Free Member

highly recommended Mike,used em loads,never had any issues.

tazzymtb

exotics are top banana

Northwind

Exotic carbon here too, fab. Really impressive for the money (Nukeproof used to sell the 26er version rebadged with their stickers, for twice the price, and it still got a 4 star award in one of the mags 😉 )

tazzymtb

if they might be for a “certain frame” make sure the offset is about 47mm, 38mm offset feels like cack on it

Dancake
    Free Member

Had exotic 29er carbons and presently have 440 atc 26″ ers.

Both great for me.

rustler
    Free Member

I thought it wad the Superstar ones that were Nukeproofs without the daft lettering…? Or are the SS ones the Exotics as well…?
    Either way, I love the feel from my carbon forks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surly’s are heavy and ugly. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Hmm, they’re 42mm offset…

Northwind

rustler, don’t know about Superstar, they could be the same as well (I think White Bros are also the same, the cheaper Pro fork is a variation on the same design but with some different components)

tk46hal
    Free Member

Miketually!

You’ve seen these before! They look great and from the above comments, they are a brilliant rigid carbon fork! I can’t comment on their performance until I get my new wheels, but first impressions are great! 😆

bunnerscj
    Free Member

doof doof – Mine are spot on, no rotor rub (6FT 4″, 16st kitted and out of saddle) and wheel alignment is fine, agreed you have to make sure the wheel axle is dead in the drop out but fine for me.

Exotics are good, light and appear well made but personally, after having both for sometime, I would sacrifice a little weight for the steel fork.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Just saw this but too much of a rush to see if it’s any help to you

http://twentynineinches.com/2011/04/05/new-generation-rigid-fork-shootout-3-syncros-fl-29er/

Stoner
    Free Member
    epicyclo

doof_doof – Member
    I find my Singular fork *very* flexy. I can make the rotor rub when climbing out of the saddle. The price you pay for a compliant ride and a long fork I guess.
    The fork alignment is also incredibly poor, with the wheel not centred between the legs (flipping the wheel has the same result, so it’s not wheel dish).

Mine are spot on.

Sounds like you crashed on yours.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my on one carbon forks were lovely… definitely recommended.

they’re also for sale if you are interested – tamarvin @ googlemail.com

🙂

Clink

I’ve used On-one carbons for several years and they have bene great. I’d welcome the extra security of bolt-though though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stoner – every ride i go on im risking my front teeth – waiting on those damned things.

Stoner
    Free Member

My On-One forks have been good and solid, but I have 20mm Rebas so want to be able to swap wheels across without having to change adaptors on the superstar hub (needs to have rotor removed to do this)

Also like the stiffer feel.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Salsa Cromoto? about £75, weigh about 100g more than exotic carbon. But imo look nicer than carbon.

rOcKeTdOg

got a set of kona project II 29er/700c disc only sat doing nowt in the shed,long steerer, only used for about 3 months on this

DSC00023 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr
    tweet me if interested

clubber
    Free Member

My experiences:

– Salsa Cromoto (only tried in 26″ flavour though) – reasonably light, look nice, not horribly stiff, not particularly flexy

– Exotic (26″ again) similar feel to the Salsa really – IIRC they’re a touch lighter

– Singular fork – noticably flexy forward/back over bumps in a good way but may be too long for some frames. I didn’t notice any particular issue with them flexing in terms of steering accuracy.

miketually
    Free Member

got a set of kona project II 29er/700c disc only sat doing nowt in the shed,long steerer, only used for about 3 months on this

They’re 700c rather than 29er aren’t they? Thanks though.

rOcKeTdOg

Same thing, if you search or project II 29er they all say 700c too

Sam

doof_doof – Member

This is the difficulty of trying to design a fork which will ride nicely for folks weighing <60kg while still being strong enough for someone >120kg. Basically it’s not possible. The new forks have less flex due to being shorter at 470mm, and we’ll soon have a new ‘clyde version’ fork with thicker walled tubing.

I very rarely hear of any issues with alignment, though if you’ve got a problem please just drop me a line and I’ll sort it out as best I can. It’s possible that a fork leg has bent slightly if you are a bigger and more aggressive rider – especially so if you’re using large rotors.

Mike, I’d be happy to sort you out with a fork if you are still in need. At your size I think the flex will be fine.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I picked up a set of rigid steel Haro 29er forks on ebay for £35 that i’m not using. Yours if you want them? very short steerer though 152mm, axle to crown 489mm

miketually
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info an offers. Just waiting for the cheque from the insurance company…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about rigid 29er forks’ is closed to new replies.