Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Talk to me about riding in China/Hong Kong
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Particularly around Beijing and Shenzhen. Going to be there in July for a few weeks, wondering if it’s worth taking some sort of bike (or buying one out there?). Anyone have an experiences?

survivor

No idea but going off what I see in the news, breathing apparatus of some sort would extend your life!

garethc
    Free Member

Used to live in Shenzhen, and we’d only do stuff outside in winter. Too hot otherwise.

Didn’t do too much walking in Shenzhen, but plenty of nice trails in HK either New Territories or south side of HK island and Lan Tau. Would be good on a bike (in January).

J-R

HK has some fun trails which I rode on a hired bike – look at the HKMBA web site.

montgomery
    Free Member

Heat & humidity is awful at that time of year.

Flying Ball Bikes in HK have a good rep if you’re shopping, but I doubt prices are massively cheaper than UK these days.

dave360

I live in Shanghai, and there’s a really active roadie scene. Yes it’s a bit warm in summer, but so what.

Travis

Road in Beijing for 6 years, both MTB and road.
    Have a look at the Serk Group on Strava, or the Beijing Peleton.

Both groups organise buses for (Road) rides out of the city.

Serk also has some guys who MTB, and have an active zwift group too.

I’m still in China, but over in Qingdao now, and ride road.

Travis

Also, both groups it’s possible to hire a descent bike, and it will be very hot.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Don’t know about HK, I live just outside Shanghai and from my experience don’t bother with the mountain bike!

I have a both mountain & road bikes with me – mountain biking here is hard work. I’m all up for exploring but appear to find myself walking more times than riding. That said there is a small DH scene here in Changshu, but that only works if you have access to an uplift.

As Dave 360 & Travis says road biking works – sort of, I end up riding a lot at night, but then so do the locals!

montgomery
    Free Member

Yes it’s a bit warm in summer, but so what.

Bit rough if you’ve just parachuted in and not acclimatised.

Chuck your bike on an internal flight and head west. Summer in Xinjiang…

RealMan
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Not too fussed about it being a bit hot, fairly used to that. Any other advice is much appreciated!

bigrich

depends where in China – can be amazing countryside, can be air you can cut with a knife and stings your skin.

never underestimate the crippling effect of humidity on the fragile British temperament.

Travis

@RealMan, how long are you out here for?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about riding in China/Hong Kong’ is closed to new replies.