Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Talk to me about renting desk space…
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I'm setting up as a freelance designer and researching studio space/desk space. I'm new to this so short of Googling and Gumtree I'm not really sure where to start.

I want somewhere I can go as working in a one bedroom flat gets quite claustrophobic! All I'd need is a desk, chair, wireless internet and a loo. And yes, I thought of Starbucks but I have a low caffeine tolerance level.

geoffj

Try the local offices near you. There may be companies who have too much capacity and would be willing to rent you a desk for less than you'd pay from a commercial operation.

EDIT: Oh and if you got a mobile broadband dongle (and was careful with how much pron you downloaded on it) you wouldn't even need to use the companies wireless network – which could be a deal breaker.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Save yer money until you're making enough on a regular basis to be able to afford space anywhere. I looked into this a while ago, for the same reasons, but whilst it's not necessarily astronomical, you do have the concern that your computer etc is vulnerable to theft/tampering by others, when you're not there.

If you really do need space outside your own flat, then maybe ask around friends, see if anyone's got a spare room they could rent you during the day. I'd imagine many folk would be glad of a few quid extra coming in.

Bust as I said at the beginning, save yer money. Trust me, you'll need it…

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

@geoff – good call…

@elfin – i'm on a laptop, but hear what you're saying about costs. commercial space is expensive, but have seen a local 'artist' space which looks promising.

Stoner
    Free Member

There's a number of solutions from touch down space in a Local Development Agency sponsored hub to a roving contract with a serviced office provider liek Regus, or even a membership of an organisation that offers space to members such as the Institute of Directors.

Depends on where you are as to which works best. Tell me where you want to work from and I can do some research for you.

I agree it's a good idea to find a place to work when you're self employed if you cant easily define a work area at home. Its also good to meet people, network and have conversations away from the silence of your desk. And now and then you may want to meet clients who are in from out of town – a lot of these places can rent you a meeting room by the hour too.

binners

Aaaaaaaaah – you're getting cabin fever eh?

Where are you based fella. We started out here:

http://www.eoffice.net/

Cheeap. You get to know the people around you so its a bit more sociable. You get your phone answered, mailing service and use of meeting rooms. Also check out:

http://www.bizspace.co.uk/

Now is a good time to be looking. There's square miles (literally) of empty offices around. All costing their owners money. When they give you a price, say 'no thanks' and walk away. They'll be on the phone to you within seconds offering it you for half the price. Haggle haggle haggle. You''ll get no deposit and actually Bruntwood were offering 6 months rent free

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

stoner – thanks will look into those in your first paragraph. i'm in the west end of glasgow, but can easily get to the city centre or southside.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

binners – yeah, the walls are closing in. the only saving grace is that we have really high ceilings! thanks for links!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Evans Easyspace?

binners

Check out and see if there's anything like this in your area

Home

is Manchesters. Its cheap office space (and I do mean cheap) for creative industries. Perfect for you. I'd imagine there will be up there. Check with the Regional Development Agency before Dave abolishes them

skidartist
    Free Member

local 'artist' space which looks promising.

"artist" space can be a bye word for 'cold infested rat hole', unless you are thinking of the new Briggait development

You're south glasgow if I recall { edit – poor recollection} so you're probably talking about Southside Studios or the Chalet. Broadly speaking they are useful spaces in a low down and dirty sense, unless you put in the graft to make them otherwise. Both very bike friendly though. In fact the word 'Bikes' is broadly used there to convey a sense of satisfaction and universal well being as in 'mmmmmmmm, bikes'.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And now and then you may want to meet clients who are in from out of town – a lot of these places can rent you a meeting room by the hour too.

There are places that offer such space for free. They're called 'pubs'. 😀

I hear what yer saying, LLBT, and I'd love to be able to afford a proper studio and everything. Direct human contact with others would be ok too. Sometimes…

Art studios that I've seen tend to be in tatty old warehouses, with limited facilities. Chances are you'd have some nutter who likes to make sculptures out of metal using an angle grinder all the time, or something equally noisy.

The cheapest office spaces tend to be in slightly run-down areas, above shops and that. I imagine you're dreaming of some lovely airy waterfront type space, with a great little Italian cafe next door. Mmm.

if I were you I'd use yer money to promote yourself more, on equipment etc. Stuff which will have a direct benefit. You'll be using a laptop for design work? Maybe get a decent larger screen you can plug it into.

Good luck anyway; it's very very difficult out there atm. No-one wants to pay for owt, as they've got a 'nephew with a copy of Paint' who can do all their graphic design work. Sniff.

skidartist
    Free Member

Chances are you'd have some nutter who likes to make sculptures out of metal using an angle grinder all the time, or something equally noisy.

Waves

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

@skidartist – hehe, no i'm over in yorkhill now – the space is down the hidden lane, off argyle st (opp tesco). it mentions wooden floors, heat, light and internet!

skidartist
    Free Member

Ahh yes, know the place you mean

Less of a rat hole than most – a bit young startup indy media rather than artist space in the real sense. You'd at least be able to say at some point in the future that you knew someone before they were famous.

it mentions wooden floors, heat, light and internet!

It might not mention ankle deep water in heavy rain, be wary of any ground floor (or slightly less than ground floor) units there

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

@elfin

some lovely airy waterfront type space, with a great little Italian cafe next door

– sigh.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

@skidartist – yup, YoFi really is a hotbed of creative talent ;o)

skidartist
    Free Member

In that neck of the woods SWG3 might be worth a look too

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Thanks mate

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about renting desk space…’ is closed to new replies.