Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Talk to me about my big rack
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m having a bit of mental anguish trying to decide whether I’d be better getting one big rack, or two smaller racks (this is for the garage and hopefully the wife won’t notice my preference for big racks).

If I was getting one big rack, it would be 1500mm x 600mm per shelf, and about 2000mm tall. Something like this looks ideal, but at those dimensiosn the weight capacity per shelf drops to 80kg. Now I’m not planning to store anything super heavy on it just all the carp of the day, but it’s quite a big surface area and I’m wary about the weight limit.

If I was to get 2 smaller racks I could maybe bolt them together in an L shape, alternatively I could get a stronger rack but that then means the gaps between the shelves are smaller.

Any advice?

wombat

Decide what size boxes/plastic crates you’re typically going to use to store stuff in and make sure they’ll fit on the shelves.

IMO I’d not use anything much bigger than an archive box as this will help prevent overloading the shelves and your back 🙂

oldschool

Huge shelves also tend to become an “I’ll just dump that there, till I have more time/the weekend/I’ll use it again shortly”
    Keep the shelves organised and stuff boxed, and the temptation isn’t there as much to abandon items.
    Or maybe I’m a lazy git.

konanige

Blimey I wouldn’t worry about the weight limit on them, that equates to about six rolls of 9inch lead per shelf, have you picked up a roll of 9inch lead lately???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about my big rack’ is closed to new replies.