Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about motorbikes…
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As a youngun at 16 I had a DT50, and loved it… Until I got my car license. I'm now 31, have discovered that actually not having a car is quite feasible, and I really fancy getting back into motorbikes – but preferably fairly cheaply, as a secondary mode of transport / something to play with on a weekend.

So – my options as I see them.

[*]Direct Access License. Expensive, means I have to take time off work, will leave me with not much money for a bike – but will last forever, and mean I can ride anything. [/*]

[*]CBT and learner legal 125. My preferred choice at the minute, I think. Do a CBT, buy either a restricted sporty 125 (Aprillia RS125 = YUM) or supermotard type thing, then if I really get into it do my test a year or so down the line. [/*]

[*]Buy a moped. Not really an option ;)[/*]

What does the STW massive reckon? The CBT / restricted route appeals, then if I get bored of the whole idea down the line I've not laid out too much…

greyman
    Free Member

Think you've answered your own question !

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha, I suppose I have really!

bazzer
    Free Member

A restricted 125 will be fun for about a month then you will try and go somewhere on it that is further than a few miles and wish you had passed you r test and bought a proper bike.

There is a compromise and that is to do a non direct access test, then you can ride a slightly less restricted bike (33bhp I think) but reckon best thing is direct access and a something like a bandit/fazer 600

If you just want to ride around a city then ignore above and get a small bike 🙂

Bazzer

anagallis_arvensis

I did the direct access a year ago, the 500cc bikes are easier to ride, also despite me being a slow rider of a slowish bike its nice to have a bit of zip to get away from idiots quickly at junctions.

simon_g

Well, CBT is the first step anyway and you can do it on a weekend. See how you feel after pootling round on a 125 – possibly hire a school 125 for the day if you still haven't made up your mind. If it's all you want, then fine – go and buy your own 125. You first get on the road and think "well this feels quick enough" but IME that passes after a few hours on one!

If you go on to do the rest of DAS, the only bit that means taking time off is the test itself – I did the training/practice over a couple of weekends. Doesn't have to be consecutive days unless you want it to be.

You could do the full restricted test, which lets you have 33bhp for 2 years (after which the restriction gets lifted) but there's no real saving in terms of instruction time to prepare for it.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I've just done my direct access and as simon_g says, the only part I had to take time off work for was module 2 of the test, the road ride. I didn't really see the point in doing the restricted test beacause I found riding a 500cc easier.

I did hear that they are going to change the test requirements again soon. The first change is minor and I think will be incorporated this year. When you are out on the Mod 2 test the examiner will tell you to follow directions to such and such a place rather than telling you to turn left, right etc.

I believe they are also talking about introducing another level of testing. You will still have the CBT and restricted licence but there will be an intermediate licence for mid range bikes and then the full licence. Also in order to qualify for the full licence the bike you take the test on will have to be 650cc or more.

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm. Definite food for thought… Might have to ring the training place near me and have a chat, I think.

LycraLout
    Free Member

I dislike 125s intensely. great fun for an hour or two, but as pointed out aboove, try to go someplace a few miles away and you find the limitations very quickly. plus, as we all know, there are a lot of idiots in cars, a bike should give you the instant pull to get out of potential trouble, that just won't happen on anything less than a 250 or 400, which IMO makes smaller bikes dangerous. Also, and this might just ne me because i'm a fair old size, I felt incredibly exposed and vulnerable on a small bike, which may not lead you into thinking you need to do DAS, but more into this is just dangerous and packing it in completely. And if you go 2nd hand, 125s 9and the aprilia especially, are likely to have been thrashed anyway. If you're looking for a runabout, when you post hat question on here, the responses are likely to be a load of naked or semi faired 600cc bikes which are big enough to be comfortabke and fast enough to keep a smile on your fave for more than 10 mins
    So DAS is my tuppence worth

Northwind

"The CBT / restricted route appeals, then if I get bored of the whole idea down the line I've not laid out too much…"

But if you don't, you will have. My own feeling is, don't plan for disappointment, plan for the best and deal with disappointment if you have to.

I did my time on 125s but it was never much fun, fine for traffic (if I was to buy a bike tomorrow it'd be some sort of horrible 125 commuter most likely, the SV mainly rusts these days) but I think only once did I ever think "I'll go for a ride". There's nothing wrong with that at all, my car works on the same principle but it's a limited appeal.

Oh. Sporty/fun 125s are expensive to buy, unless used when they are frequently horribly f****d. There's exceptions of course but by and large you should approach an RS125 or 125cc supermoto on the assumption that it's been horribly abused, crashed daily and never serviced.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about motorbikes…’ is closed to new replies.