Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Talk to me about moist fridges…
  • kayak23

My salads keep going off rapidly, getting all wet and manky. It really is rather bothersome to have ones organic Rocket wilt so readily doncha know…I’m sure you understand. 🙂

I tend to snap the bag open when I buy them to let them breathe but then generally just put them in the plastic drawer/buckets at the base of the fridge.

The drainage hole in the back of the fridge seems totally fine, temperature is slightly below middling, the fridge itself is stored in a temperate garage attached to the house…
    There doesn’t seem to be any excess moisture collecting on the bottom as such.

How can I prolong the shelf life of my delicate little salad leaves? Why is my fridge so frikkin moist?
    🙂

wwaswas

How can I prolong the shelf life of my delicate little salad leaves?

It is Rocket science, you know 😉

kayak23

Ba dum tish!
    😀

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s not so much your fridge, rather the moistness of your delicate little salad leaves methinks.

Same issue here, we now empty said bag of leaves and dry them in kitchen roll, then put them back in open bag. They tend to last a few more hours that way 🙂

Alternatively, go old skool and buy a lettuce. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member
    kayak23

Alternatively, go old skool and buy a lettuce

I do have standards you know… 😉

wwaswas

Buying half a lettuce is just the tip of the Iceberg.

igmc.

IHN

I tend to snap the bag open when I buy them to let them breathe

There’s ya problem. They’re generally packed in Nitrogen (or something) to stop them going off and prolong the shelf life. By opening the bag you let normal air on so they start to rot quickerer.

wallop

Put your salad leaves in a bowl of water – keeps em crisp and fresh.

Or just leave them in the bag like everyone else.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

They’re generally packed in Nitrogen (or something)

MAP. Process used less in the summer apparently, therefore our salads go off quicker:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/uk-salad-producers-comment-on-use-of-map-and-chlorine-154116275.html

RustyMac

Don’t know about salad leaves but for vegetables my mum has a tupperwear type box with a tray in the bottom of it. The tray has holes so any water from the veg drops down below where the veg is stored and that seems to keep the veg better for much longer.

lucien

Talk to me about moist fridges…

– thought it was a thread about the wife…. 😯

kayak23

IHN – Member
    I tend to snap the bag open when I buy them to let them breathe

There’s ya problem. They’re generally packed in Nitrogen (or something) to stop them going off and prolong the shelf life. By opening the bag you let normal air on so they start to rot quickerer.

I have to open the bag at some point to like…..make salad. Its after that that will be my problem.
    The salads do seem to be pretty wet inside the bag. Maybe a combination of drying out a bit and then tupperware would be the direction to head in.

This woman seems to have it dialled. Canned salads! 😕
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXa5Uj-qumg[/video]

Very, very laborious but this guys salad philosophy is sick!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=144VhZkXT8g[/video]

hilldodger
    Free Member

The “magic gas” allows the distributors/retailers to store the leaves at a higher temperature so reducing refrigeration costs. When you transfer them to your domestic fridge any moisture in the bag condenses and gives the salad gloop experience.
    Best way is to transfer to a plastic colander and store in fridge covered with a piece of kitchen towel, if that’s too much bother once opened, put a folded piece of kitchen towel down one side of the bag and store upright in the fridge so the leaves aren’t sitting on the damp towel

dooosuk
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

“How can I prolong the shelf life of my delicate little salad leaves?”

It is Rocket science, you know

Stolen from Lou Sanders @ Edinburgh Fringe? 😉

kayak23

The “magic gas” allows the distributors/retailers to store the leaves at a higher temperature so reducing refrigeration costs. When you transfer them to your domestic fridge any moisture in the bag condenses and gives the salad gloop experience.
    Best way is to transfer to a plastic colander and store in fridge covered with a piece of kitchen towel, if that’s too much bother once opened, put a folded piece of kitchen towel down one side of the bag and store upright in the fridge so the leaves aren’t sitting on the damp towel

All makes good sense Hilldodger thankyou. They always seem to be pretty moist on the supermarket shelves to be fair, not just when home.
    I shall get tooled up with the appropriate salad-preservation equipment.

wwaswas

Stolen from Lou Sanders @ Edinburgh Fringe?

reinterpreted, I like to think 😉

The iceberg one was mine(ish)

BlobOnAStick

We stick our salad stuff in a salad spinner and store it in the fridge. It works a treat as the basket allows excess moisture out of the leaves, but doesn’t allow the water to evaporate and dry them out.

HTH

sangobegger
    Free Member

So what you are really saying is that she is moist and frigid -or have you just gone limp, probably the wrong forum if thats the case!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about moist fridges…’ is closed to new replies.