Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Talk to me about managing a coppice (…shines the Stoner symbol into the sky..)
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’ve (along with several other folks) been part of a coppicing group in a local conservation woodland for the last (mumbles) years, which in exchange for a few weekends of hards graft yields enough firewood for me/the other coppicers and meets the conservation aims of the woodland.

For many and varied reasons it looks like this is going to be wound down over a period of time, hence (as I’ve built up the kit and experience over time) one option is to buy an existing woodland and manage it myself. I’ve been kicking the idea around for a while, but it’s come to a head as an opportunity has come up to buy an approx 11 acre package of woodland very close to my folks (though not necessaily that local to me) at a good price. I’d be looking to harvest ~5 m^3 of wood intially as the conservation coppicing winds down, building to ~8 m^3 over time.

I have a pretty good idea of what will be involved (though I clearly need to a bit more reading, but can’t get a feel if 11 acres of managed woodland will be enough to sustain these volumes on rotation (probably) using a coppice-with-standards management scheme?

Any thoughts?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Bump for the pre-BH Friday slackers….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about managing a coppice (…shines the Stoner symbol into the sky..)’ is closed to new replies.