Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Talk to me about light touring……
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Righto, done a bit of touring in the past, both with loaded panniers and just a rucksack but on both occasions i was using B&B’s so cheating a bit. This year with the better weather i’m considering doing the camping thing around Scotland, likely solo but not quite sure what i’ll need but i’d like to keep it to a minimum, load-wise.

Looking at 6-7 days and approx 100-120 miles per day, basically 8 hours max in the saddle. Has anyone on here done the same and what advice could you give me.

Thanks in advance

JB

steezysix
    Free Member

Sounds like a cool trip – lots of good ideas here if you’ve not already seen it!

user-removed
    Free Member

Did similar but approx one third of the daily mileage and on a mtb! Just take whatever you need – that simple! On my first long tour of the west coast, I chucked a pair of shoes, a six pack of beer, a pair of jeans (blush) and a camping lantern after the first day. Well, I left them next to a camp site so I’m sure none of it went to waste.

allthegear
    Free Member

You need…

and

Rachel

EDIT – oh, Scotland you say???

epicyclo

I was thinking about light touring too.

Come to the conclusion all I need to carry is an iPhone and a credit card and a spare set of underpants and socks.

Midges aren’t a problem. MTFU or don’t stop. 🙂

epo-aholic
    Free Member

…..more looking for ideas on what type of tent/groundsheet/sleeping bag. etc really, can anyone help me out here?

steezysix – cheers for the link, i hadn’t seen that….shall read now 😀

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Depends on your mileage and touring approach.

Just done a 2day fix-wheel tour Edinburgh to Donegal – a 200mile then a 150mile day. If it’s a high mileage light tour you should be packing as light as possible.

If you’re not needing to stay somewhere i.e leaving your tent set up with your gear in it as you go off to do other things I suggest a bivvi-bag is a better bet. Lighter and if you leave your mat and sleeping bag inside you can just roll it up as a single bedding roll. Easy and you can transition from being on the road to being asleep within 5 minutes and back again!

Beyond that a small always-open bag which is easily accessible for food to go in as you ride. You shouldn’t have to stop to unclip bags to eat and you should be eating small amounts near constantly – a variety of different textures of food so you don’t get bored.

If it’s a long multi-day audax-style tour – try aero-bars. REALLY! high and rearward to add another position, more aerodynamic whilst supporting your upper-boy. a la RAAM and Tour-divide riders.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry bivvy bag in scotland for 6 nights. do pull the other one.

youll just be 1 giant midge bite. I do as you suggest for overnight trips but wouldt suggest it in scottish summer for any longer.

I have

used that for a week touring mull and ardnamurchan – tent-nothing special , stove and pots in the caradice camper long flap. sleeping bag/mat/pillow ,spare shorts and casual shorts and teeshirt in the bed roll on the bars. Food in my bag.

Got my self a frame bag now to get rid of the bag though.

rootes1

don’t do what my mate did on the recent trip and think you can get away with one pair of shorts for a week, that you don’t even once wash… and then get a UTI so your balls swell up to the size of tennis balls and there is a blood in your man juice…

wash them once in a while and/or take a couple of pairs…

epicyclo

rootes1 – Member
    don’t do what my mate did on the recent trip and think you can get away with one pair of shorts for a week, that you don’t even once wash… and then get a UTI so your balls swell up to the size of tennis balls and there is a blood in your man juice…

Doesn’t everyone boil them up with the evening tea? 🙂

I must admit to having just bought a Carradice bag…

STATO
    Free Member

don’t do what my mate did on the recent trip and think you can get away with one pair of shorts for a week, that you don’t even once wash

I had one set for a week tour in the US (hot!) did rinse them most nights but they were superb, Rapha merino padded boxers. (i actually had a set of some other brand padded boxers but they were so bad they went in the bin after 1 mornings use).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about light touring……’ is closed to new replies.