Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Talk to me about in car DVD players
  • davosaurusrex

Off to Dumfries and Galloway next Saturday with 3 young kids for a week’s holiday, back to Worthing for a few days then driving over to Germany. What fun! I’m thinking an in car twin DVD player that goes on the headrests will be a worthwhile investment, any recommendations? Don’t really want to spend more than £80, two pairs of headphones would be good so I don’t have to listen to Peppa Pig for 6 hours(youngest is 6 months and facing the wrong way so she’s out of luck). Anyone got a set they’d like to sell?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Used a dvd player once or twice

Then the wife got a iphone …. the phone is much better

cb

One of the best things we have bought! Ours is a simple (Bush I think) set-up but two kids can watch different films if they want to. We got headphones but unsure as to the wisdom of subjecting kids to hours of that so have to bear the noise. They still nod off after an hour or so!

davosaurusrex

Problem with the phone is it only entertains one of them and they always end up buggering up other things on it with random button pressing.

Yeah the potential for hearing damage from headphones had occurred to me too so we’ll probably end up suffering the noise too. Would imagine they’d have to watch the same thing though?

franksinatra

We have in car DVD, only ever use it on long motorway journeys.

Have a look at buying a cheap tablet instead. Similar price, much more flexibility in its use.

rickt
    Free Member

More than you wanted to spend, but this is a much better long term solution,

http://www.xtrons.co.uk/HEADREST-car-dvd/2X9-Digital-Touch-Screen-Headrest-DVD-player-Black-HD908T.html

We use ours all the time.

davosaurusrex

I have never seen the appeal of tablets so consequently know nothing about them, am I right in saying that they don’t have a DVD drive and you have to play movies etc via files on an SD card or similar?

The xtrons look nice but way over budget, I also think that having them permanently installed means that every journey would be a whinge fest with them wanting to watch telly so would prefer something portable.

boxelder

Aldi twin dvd for 70 quid. Will take sd card and usb too and has battery for tent use.
    Bargain. We also use a tablet, but sharing is a problem.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’re keeping it a secret that we can play DVDs in our car. I can’t think of anything worse than subjecting anyone, let alone your own children to sh*te like Peppa Pig. So we play games, have conversations, look at the world whizzing past outside and stuff…

freddyg
    Free Member

We took a punt on an older version of this pair of Nextbase DVD players.

They were pretty cheap and are plenty cheerful. The kids can either both watch the same film from DVD/USB or choose their own. We only use them on long journeys and make sure we pause them every 30 – 45 mins to play I-Spy etc.

davosaurusrex

Well done DBW, all that’s wrong with STW encapsulated in a single post. Standard form now would be to justify my position by saying our kids don’t watch much telly, only drink organic llama milk and study the writings of Ghandi etc but I don’t feel the need to justify myself to a holier-than-thou keyboard warrior like you so instead may I cordially suggest that you do one, peanut. And not just you, all the other self righteous bell ends on here.

There’s some really good people on this forum and it’s a great mine of information but I can’t stand all the self important liberals. I asked for advice on in car DVD players, not parenting advice from The Guardian’s agony aunt. And I like Peppa Pig, it makes me laugh and my kids love it.

And breathe. No wonder I don’t post on here much.

kimbers

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    We’re keeping it a secret that we can play DVDs in our car. I can’t think of anything worse than subjecting anyone, let alone your own children to sh*te like Peppa Pig. So we play games, have conversations, look at the world whizzing past outside and stuff…

are you sure you’re traveling by car sounds more like some sort of lofty equine mode of transport to me 😉

davosaurusrex

Cheers everyone who chipped in with actual advice rather than condescending drivel. freddyg – thanks for that – please don’t feel the need to justify yourself though.

bigblackshed

I thought an in car DVD player was a good idea. Turns out it induced car sickness in my two boys. That turned out to be a pleasant journey.

davosaurusrex

Yeah, guess there’s that risk to consider. Bet it took ages to get the vomit out of the speaker grilles?

freddyg
    Free Member

Turns out it induced car sickness in my two boys. That turned out to be a pleasant journey.

The reason for the breaks – get them to focus their attention on the outside world for a while. Then they can get on with being brainwashed by Peppa Pig / Sleeping Beauty / all manner of other video nasties. 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why thank you very much.

Prick

freddyg
    Free Member

EDIT: Removed. I just can’t be a*sed. 😐

davosaurusrex

DBW – if you want to post your uninvited and ill-informed opinions on how I choose to raise my kids then don’t be upset when I choose to resort to similarly ill-informed character assassination.

davosaurusrex

Oh come on freddy, the handbag was funny!

freddyg
    Free Member

😀

I though so too…

ransos
    Free Member

Cheers everyone who chipped in with actual advice rather than condescending drivel. freddyg – thanks for that – please don’t feel the need to justify yourself though.

Do the kids watch TV at home? We thought we’d get a DVD player for a trip to the French Alps this year, but given our daughter has no interest in TV whatsoever, there didn’t seem much point. Instead we had 12 hours of us having to hold her hand, read stories and sing nursery rhymes. The Gruffalo on the 18th reading did start to lose its appeal!

There’s a reason why we usually travel at night…

freddyg
    Free Member

Our kids watch a bit – we do try to limit it though.

Ransos, how old is your daughter? Ours are (almost) 8 & 6. Disney films and the old classics (chitty, chitty, wizard of Oz, Charlie and the chocolate factory etc.) are all popular.

We do travel a lot (family is distributed all over the UK) and have found the DVD players really help prevent boredom.

davosaurusrex

They do but not much although it would be more if we let them (we prefer to get them to spend their free time milking the chickens we keep, makes them more rounded individuals IMO). They usually travel pretty well but I think a couple of hours of DVDs in a 7 hour journey will make it a bit more bearable for all of us.

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos, how old is your daughter? Ours are (almost) 8 & 6. Disney films and the old classics (chitty, chitty, wizard of Oz, Charlie and the chocolate factory etc.) are all popular.

We do travel a lot (family is distributed all over the UK) and have found the DVD players really help prevent boredom.

She’s 2. Most of the time, I’m glad she doesn’t like TV, as I enjoy playing and reading stories with her (and I’m a hand-wringing Guardian reader). But like you, our family isn’t near and she does get very bored in the car.

davosaurusrex

Talk to them freddy, for the love of God JUST TALK TO THEM! CHILDREN ARE PEOPLE TOO!

Annoying, whingey people but nonetheless….

freddyg
    Free Member

Talk to them???? Are you mental?????

Riofer
    Free Member

I’ll join in with something useful (hopefully) to add. We found some kids headphones with built on volume limit so you keep them happy with a film and still listen to what you want up front.

freddyg
    Free Member

She’s 2

We’ve only had our DVD thingies for the last two years. When the eldest was two, the youngest was only 5 months and slept whenever we attempted a journey. Ours didn’t really show much interest in the telly until a couple of years later.

Headphones (over ear type) are a big bonus – but always check the volume levels too.

Edit: ^^^ too slow 😀

davosaurusrex

Cheers Riofer, would you happen to have a link to the headphones?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about in car DVD players’ is closed to new replies.