Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Talk to me about importing….
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ive been looking at some components recently for my own bike but thought i could also make a nice little profit importing them myself from Taiwan then selling them direct in the UK.
    So what do i need to know about importing parts? there fairly small so wont require a shipping container, is it possible to do it via a courier company or similar as i wont be looking at a huge initial order? Will the manufacturer be able to facilitate this for me or will i have to arrange shipping as well? Will the manufacturer have a minimum order amount? Is there anything else i need to consider?

ojom
    Free Member

You need to ask the manufacturer these questions rather than on here.

Also you will need to speak to Customs etc to find out what the implications are.

Then you should consider speaking to HMRC and see what tax situation you will be in.

I think this is how Superstar started.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Usually chinese/etc companies will sell you samples at very low cost, but require a massive minimum order. When I was looking at importing bike frames they would sell you nice (I had a couple of samples, they were pretty well made) frames at £20 a piece but minimum 1000 order, in a shipping container. The min order was simply to make their set-up costs worth while. They'll often find a courier but really you should be asking them. You'll need to speak to the government and may need to be VAT registered in this country, plus consider import duty and VAT on parts – the HMRC will give you details as to what costs what to import taxwise.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Thanks all, ive no big plans but there's a couple of useful things there for me to consider like a knew i would have to pay import tax but i didnt realize i would have to be vat registered.

chakaping
    Free Member

VAT is a piece of cake, nothing to be scared of.

I do all mine myself. Couple of days work per year, maximum.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about importing….’ is closed to new replies.