Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Talk to me about grease
  • geoffj

I’m going to have a bash at servicing my own cup and cone wheel bearings. Having had a shufty online, there seems to be quite a few options for grease. I’m guessing a small grease gun will make life easier.

Any reasons why I shouldn’t go with this?

I do quite fance the eco approach though – what about this?

it would appear that I wouldn’t need a gun for the eco option.

Whaddya think?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have 3 grease guns including the above one and i would say its definitely the worst. Mine dribbles grease out long after you have stopped pumping and have enough grease already. You don’t really really need a gun but its slighly tidier and easier. But not with that one ^.

Dualco grease gun from whoever is cheapest on ebay, [EDIT try here though ](the standard threaded fitting not just for bike grease, a good tool supplier may well have it cheaper than a bike shop.) and either shimano bright green grease or rock’n’roll super web for hubs IMHO.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You can get a Dualco cheap and then use any grease you like.

Any old waterproof grease will do. It really makes very little difference.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use this Marine Grease

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I use a big tub of Silkolene RG2 grease, available from motorbike shops, and a plastic syringe, what I nicked from somewhere I can’t remember where now.

It’s about £8 for a 500ml tub, which will last you thousands and thousands of years. No seriously. I’ve had a tub now for longer than I can remember, and there’s still a bit left. It’s really good stuff, and doesn’t damage rubber seals unlike other greases.

I never buy ‘cycle specific’ greases and that, only chain oil. Green oil stuff is pretty good. I use motorcycle suspension oil, as it’s loads cheaper and you get more. Stuff sold in bike shops is a rip-off. Same thing, just less and more spensive.

In fact I think everyone should boycott bike shop greases, until they get the message we don’t want to be ripped off. £12.99 for a tiny little bit you can get gone, bloody shysters.

Fifty quid for a tyre? I can get a car for that.

solamanda
    Free Member

That Dualco gun in Steve’s link, is that a refillable container which you just wack any grease into?

geoffj

I use a big tub of Silkolene RG2 grease, available from motorbike shops, and a plastic syringe

*slaps forehead* I’ve got a load of syringes in the cupboard!

Nice one Frederico!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

either shimano bright green grease or rock’n’roll super web for hubs

That Shimano stuff is £8 FOR A 50ML TUBE. What a disgrace. It’s grease. It’s job is to keep bearings lubricated and protected. It’s a bike, not some high-tech aerospace thingy requiring perfect conditions. Jeeze it makes me angry, this sort of snake oil marketing for flipping bike grease.

See what you’ve done? You’ve got me all wound up now. I’m gojng to have to have a little lie down now. 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

solamanda – Member

That Dualco gun in Steve’s link, is that a refillable container which you just wack any grease into?

Yes. It’s ace too. Mine has some cheapish castrol car grease from a massive tub in it for general purpose stuff (seatposts, bolts etc.) It might be my favourite tool if that’s not too nerdy.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Yes. I fill mine up with stuff i got from Wilkos.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Talk to me about grease

Somebody had to… 😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

Elfin: hug and a horlicks?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sorry I’m just too upset by it all. 😥

Sandwich

Is the word…

doof_doof
    Free Member

rock oil mpg, one of the best marine grade greases available:

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Grease IS the word.

Having finished a large tub of RG2 which was good, the local motor bike shop recommended Bel Ray waterproof grease which they now use in preference to RG2.

I was sceptical at first but having used the Bel Ray stuff for 6 months now it is better. Thicker, more tenacious and a nice blue colour. Safe on rubber as well and only £6 for a big tub.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about grease’ is closed to new replies.