Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Talk to me about Graz…
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

It would seem I am moving there as of September for a job and I know minimal amounts about the city/area!
    So who has been?
    What’s it like? What’s there?
    Where’s the biking? Where’s the nearest ski resort? Is it expensive etc etc….

Thanks 😀

peteimpreza

The good news is you will be less than 30 mins from the Slovenian border and less than an hour from the bike park in Maribor. There is also loads of XC stuff to do as well.

Austria is expensive in the same range as Germany. I am told Graz is a lovely city. We only use the airport to get to Maribor in Svenia just across the border.

Slovenia is much better values for money, eating out in particular.

Sandwich

Graz is very pleasant. Had relatives that lived there when I was younger. Loads of students on the Western side of the city. Local bier is good, nearest skiing is to the North. Loads of rock climbing close by too.
    Subject to temperature inversions during winter, my daughter became hypothermic one December walking around the town!
    Lots of culture, opera house, modern art and architecture.

Local woods can be a source of ticks that pass on meningitis.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

I was on Holiday in Graza few years back and I loved it, just wnat you want in an unspoilt medieval european city.

Good beer too, try the Bier Baron!

APF

bamboo
    Free Member

Graz is a really nice city. I travel there for work quite often.

Good food, good beer, feels pretty safe, cycling is very popular. good public transport too. Slovenia is very close, plus reasonable sized hills in the immediate vicinity.

Good climate, can be v hot in summer. Was 35+ deg last week!

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs Stoner agreed to marry me in Graz.
    I have terrible memories of the place.*

* joking, darling! 😉

Very pretty little city. Great old town feel to it. Good beer.

grum
    Free Member

The football stadium used to be named the Arnold Schwarzenegger stadium, and now it’s not. HTH. 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

I’m there Friday to see a doctor. It’s a beautiful place.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Oo sounds promising! After a bit hunt on google it seems it’s quite a historic town, unesco world heritage site for the old town in the centre, pretty cool!

Do you think it’s a problem I don’t like beer? Ha

So what about biking? Anyone taken a bike there?
    Iolo – fancy asking the tourist information man where the nearest decent ski resort is? Thanks 😉 quite a trip just to see the doc?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Graz…’ is closed to new replies.