Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about goggles
  • gardron
    Free Member

Being a newbie to full-face lids, I’m looking to get some eyewear to go with it. I’m also rapidly realising I don’t know anything about the different makes / models that are on the market.

I don’t ride anywhere that needs a full-face more than a few times I year but I don’t mind shelling out on quality eyewear in the slightest – only get one set, right ? I’m also not racing or anything like that.

So, requirements are pretty basic, just swappable lenses & anti-fog/anti-smear

Questions:
    Are tear-offs worth it?
    If so, the single ones or the rolls ?
    In a nutshell, wheres the difference in price going ?

Any info would be great, any recommendations / ones to avoid, even better. Cheers.

tomhoward

Are tear-offs worth it? only if its REALLY shitty muddy, ive never felt the need for them.

In a nutshell, wheres the difference in price going ? same as sunglasses really, a bit goes into the lenses, a bit goes into marketing,

legend
    Free Member

Avoid double lens ones as you’ll cry at the price when you come to change the lens. Other than that you can really choose by your favourite look and colour, there’s naff all between the different brands really.

Tear offs help protect the lens a bit, but I wouldn’t bother myself as if you wipe them at all it can lead to water getting between the tear-off and the lens – which is worse than not having them in the first place. Riding DH you very rarely have time to remove one anyway, more useful for MX really

ken_shields
    Free Member

Oakley goggles have the best lens optics

Avoid tear offs unless doing MX

You get what you pay for….cheap goggles will not last long

Hologram lenses look a mental

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Just get some Oakley O Frames. Really can’t go wrong with them.

gardron
    Free Member

Why did you have to show me the hologram lenses ? That appeals to the absolute slut in me so much.

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated.

nach
    Free Member

Go a little beyond cheap and you’ll get much more comfortable goggles made from softer, more flexible plastics.

I have Von Zipper Bushwicks, which are double lens and not eye-wateringly expensive. They cost me about £35, and lenses have ranged from £12 – £25 depending on what they are. A transparent lens with pegs for tear offs was at the cheap end of that from ebay.

They’re cylindrical lens goggles, so less fancy than the spherical types, but on trails I don’t think you’d benefit as much from the extra peripheral vision as much as you would on a ski slope.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Oakleys,smiths or poc !.

honourablegeorge

Having tried a few (Oakley included) I’d be going for the 100% ones – the Accuri is the best I’ve tried

legend
    Free Member

somewhat ironically, given some of the posts above, Oakley are one of the cheapest and last for bloomin’ ages 🙂

e.g.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oakley-o-frame-mx-goggles/rp-prod16140

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oakley-proven-mx-goggles/rp-prod31653

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

id try some on if you can, with your helmet. i know ive still to find a pair i can wear comfortably with my full facer! all been too deep in section and press on my nose. never found a LBS that stock them tbh, except in Morzin£

edit: tbh, them oframes on CRC look nice and narrow – might try some…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Spy or Scott IMHO.

Seeing as Scott make googles for everyone and mine have lasted aaaages like 6 years now.
    Spy for the selectron foam. They last forever as you buy lenses and foam.

legend
    Free Member

Goggles can usually be very easily trimmed to suit. 5 mins + a stanley knife and you’re laughing

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]Fred V & Grafix – Goggles – Official Video: http://youtu.be/QxjXqIob0qY [/video]

Superficial
    Free Member

Buy whichever ones you can get replacement lenses for. I’ve bought a couple of pairs of cheap goggles and although they’re fine, when the lenses are scratched it’s game over. Which is always about 2 years later when the model has changed and it’s basically impossible to find appropriate replacement lenses so you end up binning them or living with the old scratched lenses. Perhaps I’m too lazy.

Whatever, I wish I’d bought some O frames from the start.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about goggles’ is closed to new replies.