Talk to me about glasses…

Home Forum Chat Forum Talk to me about glasses…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Talk to me about glasses…
  • tjagain

I paid £35 for two pairs of prescription reading glases from one of the big chains. Beware they will try to sell you expensive varifocals but I went for single vision as I don’t want varifocals when riding the bike

Premier Icon slackboy
    Subscriber

If you just need reading glasses then you get them in packs of 2 for about £5 in asda. they have set prescriptions and you try them until you find one that works best for you.

If you need the permanently you can take the prescription from the optician and get your glasses from anywhere. I used glassesdirect recently and have been pleased with the price and service.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

…yesterday morning boss noticed I have been taking a moment to focus when looking at paperwork and then to long distance. I borrowed her reading glasses and *pow* reading documents and screen was clearer….

Local Opticians booked for next week.

Am I about to be charged a flipping fortune for glasses? If they say I need, can I go anywhere for glasses or contacts?

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

At your age your eyes are probably crap at all distances 🙂

I went to Emma Dewey in BofA and now use multifocal contact lenses. Awesome – perfect vision at all distances and night riding is no longer a fuzzy mess.

Yes – you can take the prescription anywhere you want.

globalti

I love my varifocals; crystal clear vision close up or far away. Got the same in photochromic for cycling.

CountZero

Specsavers are as good as anyone, or at least in my experience.
    Tried multifocal contacts, and binned them after a couple of days, just could not get on with them. I’ve been using contacts for at least twenty-five years, got them in now, monthly disposable with a toric in my left eye and regular in my right, and those work just fine, except for close-up and reading small print.

alpin
    Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

48, still fine at long distances, but not as good as it was closer up.

Use the supermarket cheapies for reading, second weakest I think?
    Had a Damascene moment in Aldi in Bangor when I tried a pair on just for kicks.

Really made a difference, hadn’t realised why I was reading such a small amount of print.

One eye is a little weaker than the other at short distances but slightly better at long.
    Quite fancy a pair of monocles, tbh.

No rush to get a prescription, but I suspect it’s not going to be cheap.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

they will try to sell you expensive varifocals but I went for single vision as I don’t want varifocals when riding the bike

I agree with TJ on this one. I went to Cubitts in London. The single vision glasses were an excellent deal, but when they told me how much my varifocals would have cost, I decided to stick with single vision, and either just squint a lot, or change glasses when I need to.

Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

What about for poor distance vision? I don’t fancy varifocals either. Say for things like driving and riding would single vision for distance work?

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

OP same thing for me at 40 especially in low light, now at 54 wear mine for most reading. My medium/long distance vision is excellent fwiw

Reading glasses are cheap (unlike for longer distances). Get the test results and then take time to think what you want to spend – the test centre will try and sell you something. I have glasses from £2 (Superdrug) to £250 for nice frames and high quality lenses for work

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

SaxonRider – Member
    I decided to stick with single vision, and either just squint a lot, or change glasses when I need to.

I just perch the reading specs on the end of my nose and peer over the top of them, Yaffle stylee.
    Often forget I’ve got them on.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Contacts may get you cheap/free glasses as part of the deal, but sounds like you only need stuff for close vision, so you wouldn’t want contacts probably.

If you’ve not been to the optician for years, definitely should go anyway and make it an annual visit even if nothing needs doing. There are health checks you get through a sight test, both for the eyes and they can detect a number of other health issues.

If your work includes any VDU use, you can get the tests paid for by your company.

Anyway, short sighted here, 40s, reading vision is deteriorating each year 🙁 . I wear contacts outdoors and glasses otherwise for long distance, but have reading glasses now for the contacts which I don’t bother using yet but getting to the point where I do, and debating whether or not to abandon contacts and go vari (or go vari contacts if that’s a thing), which sounds a PITA. Still like contacts for riding though.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

Funny you should mention this…. Just picked up my first glasses ever. Quite the revelation!

Mine are from Specsavers, they seem fine: quick prescription and a decent range. MissStripes got hers there too and has for several years.

Only drawback was the whacky pricing: BOGOF, but you don’t want non coated lenses, so that was an extra €60 straight away. Seeing (lol) as they’re my first pair, I choose to buy one pair and get 20% off, rather than two pairs with no real clarity (ell-oh-ell) of vision (IGMC) concerning the style that would suit me.

I did ask a friend who works in the industry about lenses, and he said the thin lenses have more chromatic aberration, if that bothers you.

donald

I just need reading glasses. £5 at poundland gets me a pair in every room.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Should go to Specsavers.

ctk

Got an appointment for Saturday. I’ve been getting headaches during/after long drives, always assumed it was just a side-effect of concentrating for so long had an idea that maybe its my long distance sight.

monde

Try this company for glasses
    https://www.misterspex.co.uk

Found them to be a lot cheaper than the high street and the service is brilliant as they send you out a load of glasses to try and you just send them back the ones you dont like.
    German efficiency at its best.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

In my case it seems that the combination of the quality of the sight changing very slowly plus the ability of the eye muscles and brain to compensate had crept up on me, I feel much less tired in the eyes already!

jkomo

Just buy some varifofocals and stop messing about.

jkomo

YES VARIFOFOCALS ITS FRIKIN 1.00AM.

mefty

Reading glasses – poundshop – you can guess the price

Roter Stern

Had my first glasses for reading at the start of the year. They cost 300 euros including testing as I am a bit of a poseur;-) . All paid for by my health insurance.

Premier Icon genesiscore502011
    Subscriber

Talk to you about glasses- you will look cool, be immediately attractive to men, woman and beast, instantly become more intelligent, be able to do hilarious Eric Morcombe impressions (the one when he becomes all kerfuffled when kiss by a pretty lady).

(Not sure if any of this is true)

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Sooo, right eye is ‘weak’, due to rugby ball shape. Main issue is reading / close work / screen, where I need +1.25 & 0.75, they’ve said long distance is ok and I’m to keep and eye out(!) driving at night etc, for when I squint/feel like I’m struggling.
    They did try to sell some chuffing expensive ones to me, but the suggestion of kind and f like varifocals (but not) for close work does make sense in my head…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Sooo, right eye is ‘weak’, due to rugby ball shape. Main issue is reading / close work / screen, where I need +1.25 & 0.75, they’ve said long distance is ok and I’m to keep and eye out(!) driving at night etc, for when I squint/feel like I’m struggling.

Why is it that this is what they all say, before in about 2 years time you’re full on needing glasses?

Contacts may get you cheap/free glasses as part of the deal

…is what I do. Contacts most of the time / for riding, upper end of the spectrum of the inclusive Specsavers range for when I need to be seen by others in glasses, lower end free 2nd pair for mooching around indoors.

aP

My prescription is -11/-11.5. And I now have progressive lenses for day to day stuff. And they’re 1.8 index. And with transitions coating.
    ** sighs **

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top