Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about Gin – specifically Monkey 47
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Had some of this in Frankfurt mixed with Fentimans tonic water a while back and, apart from being somewhat pricey, was very, very nice.

Just about to order some in for Christmas, but is Fentimans the best tonic water to have with it or is there something better out there?

Thanks

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Fentimans used to make pop, spleshly ginger beer.
    Thats all I know about them.

I’m sure Monkey 47 is a lovely gin but I go for The Botanist which is distilled on Islay & doesn’t need tonic, just ice.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought it was Fever Tree tonic that everyone raved about?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, might have to have a look at Fever Tree too.

Any others?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Fever tree is very good. I’ve been wanting to try fentimans, but I can’t find anywhere that stocks it

Nick

Fever tree for the win, especially now that Schwepps have started adding artificial sweetner to their full fat tonic (why??????????!!!!!!)

Mahon Gin is supposedly very nice, as told to me by Oz Clark last week.

nickjb
    Free Member

We always use 6 o-clock tonic. It was specially created to match 6 o-clock gin but it should work well with any premium gin.

http://www.bramleyandgage.co.uk/acatalog/6_O_Clock_Gin.html

messiah
    Free Member

Prefer Fentimans to Fevertree, to Schweps, to Asda/etc.

Will look for Mahon Gin, and the 6 0-clock Gin and tonic, always happy to try new stuff 😉

Monkey47 is lovely, if you like that try Deathsdoor and Coldriver which are my “blown away by” favourites… but I’m happy with most others too 8)

elzorillo
    Free Member

ahaa gin…

About 15 years ago a couple of lads who worked for me, frustrated by my total lack of drinking ability, which always ruined the staff chritmas party, discovered that the only alcohol that didnt make me immediately ill was gin. From that day forth the annual event of ‘ginmas’ was born.

The last working day before christmas is always known as ginmas. There are a few rules to this event though..

Only employees and ex employees of the company are invited, although an exception has been made in the past for very good friends of the company.

The most important rule.. Each attendee must produce a bottle of gin that we’ve never had before. Yes.. it’s sad, but we keep a record of each years gins. We even check that all seals are intact and lock them in a secure locker to avoid tampering hehe

Every year at the start of festivities (and before our judgement is clouded) we have a blind taste test of all that years gins with very stringent scoring and produce records which we keep.. also sad.

As the years have gone by we’ve encountered dificulty sourcing new gins and have at times been forced to import real obscure ones from all over the world.

The event has become so popular that ex staff travel back from all over the place to attend. This year someone is flying back from Sydney just to attend ginmas.

rkk01
    Free Member

Plymouth Gin

kiwijohn

They could swing by Hobart & pick up some Larks Godfather.

youngrob

Fentimans, would be my choice for tonic, as for gin, my favourites just now are The Botanist and Caorunn.

rewski
    Free Member
    elzorillo
    Free Member

They could swing by Hobart & pick up some Larks Godfather.

Email has been sent 😉

elzorillo
    Free Member

Worst gin we actually managed to drink, although not technically a proper gin, but apparently the father of gin was this little number.. (someone trying a little oneupmanship I recon).

There was even a gin one year that no one could manage to drink and it was poured away. Wasnt brought by a staff member thank god, just a friend. He wasnt invited again!!.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Gin – specifically Monkey 47’ is closed to new replies.