Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Talk to me about getting a dog.
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for a while. What issues are there that I might not have thought about?

allfankledup

What issues have you identified so far ?

djflexure

Its a bit like having a kid – requires lots of time + effort, especially at first.

Suggsey
    Free Member

The main thing for me as a previous dog owner when I was working was having to leave the dogs whilst at work…….it is bar nothing the cruelest thing I did as a dog owner to the extent that even being retired now I can’t bring myself to get another dog until my biking days are over. In my opinion as they are a pack animal they deserve to be with the pack pretty much 24/7, 365 unless they’re in the kennels with other dogs for a holiday.
    Don’t get me wrong I exercised them two or three times a day for an hour minimum at a time and I think I treated them really well overall.
    Others may have a differing opinion.

beefheart
    Free Member

Get a pack of dogs, problem solved.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What issues have you identified so far ?

Nothing that I can’t live with to be honest.

Alpha1653

As Suggsey says, unless your situation allows the dog to be accompanied the vast majority of the time, don’t bother. Mine really struggles if we’re away for more than a few hours at a time and her personality changes when she realises that we’re going out the door without her. Luckily this only happens very rarely as either my other half’s at home or I take her into the office with me.

I was reluctant to get one at first but honesty I wouldn’t be without my little mongrel now. But if you do decide to get one, please please please exhaust the rescue centre option first. There are so many adorable dogs which need rehoming.

mogrim

Don’t underestimate how much of a PITA that puppies can be: they’re loveable but wee everywhere and destroy your furniture.

beefheart
    Free Member

Having to pick up everything they shit out, day in day out, regardless of illness, injury or state of hungoverness.
    This will add up to tons of shit over their lifetime.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I don’t regret getting our dog 3 years ago but it does really restrict you from certain things you might currently take for granted e.g. most restaurants, museums, galleries, theatres etc.

I agree with the above – they can’t really be left for any length of time – not fair on the dog

Basil

The wind. Ours have got so bad lately even they leave the room

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Our dog is 5

Hes been both the biggest asset and biggest liability to our family in that time

We both work part time for the kids so the dog only has 2 half days when he’s alone

We do deals with dog mates so he doesnt ever go to kennels and we have one holiday a year when we take him and one when we dont

If it was me on my own I wouldnt ever have him but its been great for the kids for all sorts of different reasons

Not sure that helps you 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Greyhound Rescue for your first dog every time. These dogs are used to being left in crates for hours every day. They can take any exercise you give them. They are gentle kind mad dogs that give you so much in return. A few hrs left on a sofa is no problem compared to being left in a kennel. I would have another in an instant if we didn’t have our rescue retriever at the moment. Although I am trying to persuade my lovely wife to let me have a deerhound.

anagallis_arvensis

Our dog is perfectly happy in the garden for 6 hours plus if we are out.

chestrockwell

Agree with much of what has been said.

We got our lab a week before we found out our boy was on the way. At best she’s the best friend you’ll ever have, at worst a bloody menace that does nothing but beg for food and get under your feet.

I wouldn’t be without her but am under no illusions as to the limits she puts on us and the time she takes up. Think about it seriously……. But dogs are ace!

myti
    Free Member

They are awesome but costly. Work out if you can afford the costs. Food, insurance, vaccination, flea and worm treatments, unexpected vets bills, toys and collars, leads, bowls, bed, poo bags! the list is long!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Picking up shite.

I’m out.

obelix
    Free Member

Having to pick up everything they shit out, day in day out, regardless of illness, injury or state of hungoverness.
    This will add up to tons of shit over their lifetime.

The upside to this is that it’s a good way of warming your hands up in the winter

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mines back at the vet this morning. Coming up to his first birthday and may have broke his toe. Third visit now and this time sedation and xray. Thank **** we insured his dumb ass!
    He lights up every day tho. Such a great welcome morning and evening when he sees me.

teef
    Free Member

Its a bit like having a kid

That never grows up

Lazgoat
    Free Member

We are almost 3 years into our first “family” dog. Take a lot of time to research the right dog (breed, age, history etc) for you and your lifestyle.
    Time away at work was the bad for us. She was fine and just slept. Getting a dog walker was worse though as it ruined any training we were doing with her and set back our relationship with her. I wouldn’t do it again.

We put in a lot of time with her when we first got her, lots of play and training and early morning walks before work, 6am starts, and after work 6.30pm ish.
    Not going to classes now, but walk her before and after work, an hour long at least each time, 2hrs at the weekend but later in the morning.

Having her does exclude us from visiting museums, restaurants etc if we leave home, other wise she god everywhere with us.

We were in Tuscany in September and I was astounded by the number of tourists that travelled with their dogs. It was great to see.

edhornby

borrow someone else’s

see how happy they are to have a weekend without a dog

pick up some poo, whilst doing some mental arithmetic on the cost of a dog compared to a cost of a bike

give dog back, go ride your bike and be thankful that you aren’t holding a lead instead

sandwicheater

Nothing will prepare you for how much time they spend cleaning their parts.

MrNice
    Free Member

Nothing will prepare you for how much time they spend cleaning their parts.

Be honest, if you could lick your own knob how often would you leave the house?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Interestingly, I was really averse to picking up dog poo. It’s completely different when its your dog though. Feed the dog right and the poo isn’t a nightmare at all, honest. Feed it cheap grain/wheat filled food and the results are vastly different.
    I’ve seen a dog on a raw diet produce tiny nuggets that were very inoffensive to collect. I’ve also seen dog on food that looked fit for a horse (vast amounts of whole grain) produce a mountain of red gunk that was revolting.

One other thing, you’ll meet a whole new world of dog fanciers, cyclists and walkers/ramblers will look down on you with disdain as they blame you for every irresponsible dog owner, you won’t ride your bike as much/long, unless you get a trail hound.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

Rescue an older dog, a lot are already trained and just need love and attention.

deejayen
    Free Member

When did people start picking up dog poo? I’ve never owned a dog, but it seems to be a new phenomenon – at least, I can’t recall anyone doing it until a few years ago.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Be honest, if you could lick your own knob how often would you leave the house?

5 times a week. A man’s got to earn a living.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The wind. Ours have got so bad lately even they leave the room

The plus side to this is that few things in life are as funny as a dog acknowledging its own fart.

Sometimes they look genuinely confused. If its a repeat case they begin to get annoyed by the noisy obtrusion. Then they eventually walk out of the room in disgust.

Also, blaming the dog for the bad smell in the room never grows old. Thank you, my faithful old (flatulent) pal.

cbike
    Free Member

Britain has too many dogs. Get a human friend instead.

No one picks up dog poo. They all say they do or will if someone is watching. Then they hang it in a tree and “forget” about it. ALL dog owners are clatty lazy selfish idiots kidding themselves on. Your house smells of dog. You smell of dog.

Shoot them all. (the owners, not the dogs)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Britain has too many humans. Get a pooch friend instead.

No one picks up after themselves. They all say they do or will if someone is watching. Then they chuck it out of a moving car or dump it in the street and “forget” about it. ALL humans lazy selfish idiots kidding themselves on. Your house smells of cigarettes. You smell of broken promises.

Shoot them all. (the owners, not the dogs)

wrecker
    Free Member

What issues are there that I might not have thought about?

Saying goodbye 😐
    Mine is fading and I’m in bits.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have 2, they are left alone 8:30am till 1pm then 2pm till 5:30pm 3 days a week. Some say it’s cruel but they are happy dogs. Both smallish cross breeds.

I set up a web cam once and they spent the afternoon playing with a sock. When I got in from work they sat in their bed good as gold. Love them both to bits.

toby1

Saying goodbye
    Mine is fading and I’m in bits.

Crap news wrecker, best to focus on all the good times you’ve had though.

footflaps

Having her does exclude us from visiting museums, restaurants etc if we leave home, other wise she god everywhere with us.

Holiday in the Lake District, just about everywhere lets dogs in.

plus-one

I was thinking about it for a while and wife and girls were way keener than me !! Me selfishly thinking my riding/me time would take a hit 🙁

We looked online at few poodle type crosses as they are better for allergies .. My friend at work who is dog mad was keeping me right in terms of breeds to best avoid for various reasons..

All led to me being put in touch with someone needing a home for a year old Chinese crested(think mini lion)

All the puppy nightmare stuff was already done 🙂

We met him took him home to see if he’d settle and 3 weeks in he is very much part of the family

rancid
    Free Member

Get a dog like a border collie and then you can go out on the bike all the times “to excercise him” 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Lazgoat – Member
    Interestingly, I was really averse to picking up dog poo. It’s completely different when its your dog though. Feed the dog right and the poo isn’t a nightmare at all, honest. Feed it cheap grain/wheat filled food and the results are vastly different.
    I’ve seen a dog on a raw diet produce tiny nuggets that were very inoffensive to collect. I’ve also seen dog on food that looked fit for a horse (vast amounts of whole grain) produce a mountain of red gunk that was revolting.

+1 on the raw diet. Far far better to feed him/her food that the intestines was designed to process than the crap most people put in the dog bowl. We give ours half a kilo of raw meat a day, next to nothing comes out the other end because imo the body uses what is good for itself. If you feed the dog crap quality food it’ll crap a lot of it out because it’s, well, crap really. The old adage fit as a butchers dog really does ring true.

brocks
    Free Member

Second that about raw food, sorry to hear that wrecker been there four times , feel for you. Best remedy is get yourself another the best medicine. As for o p do it you won’t regret it enjoy

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about getting a dog.’ is closed to new replies.