Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about gear ratios on cyclocross bikes.
  • LardLover
    Free Member

After visiting the National Cyclocross race in South Shields today I’m fancying myself on of those offroad dandy horses. After have a good old nose around the bikes there appeared to be a varying range of gears, especially front chainrings (singles / close ratio doubles – not triples however 😉 ). I couldn’t get a good enough view of the cassettes to check out gear ranges.

I’m going to be looking for a frame and want to swap my bits over but thinking the 50/34 compact road rings might be a bit too big? What’s a ‘normal’ big ring size for cyclocross? Obviously I’m betting it’s dependent on course profile etc, but if I was just starting out (coz I am) what should I be looking at? (chainset and cassette).

Anyway, back at the race – not many riders using disc brakes, I counted 2 of the elite boys and both of them rode for Hope. Had a good nose of Paul Oldham’s (National CC champ) bike and his Hope cable operated hydraulic disc brakes. I must say that I thought the Hope set-up looked rather smart, a neat solution to road sti’s and hydraulic discs. Don’t think I’d be looking for carbon deep section rims mind, they were making a right old racket when braking. They looked lush though and loads using them, even in the juniors.

There’s a nice looking Parlee cyclocross frameset on ebay at the mo, would look good next to my road bike. Just my size too. Now, I wonder if I can convince the wife it’s a bargain.

Cheers

Neil

simondbarnes

A fairly common setup seems to be 46/36 and 12/25

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Exactly what Simon Said….

Hang on,

If Simon Says…

🙂

(Sorry Si!!)

jonba
    Free Member

In my vast experience of one race I was running 34/46 at the front and 11-25 at the back.

I never got into the big ring or felt I needed to*. I replaced a 34/50t compact. If I had my money back I’d have gone 34/44

I imagine if it gets muddy it’ll be even harder on a 46. Ican only see me using it if there are tarmac/hardpack sections that go one for a reasonable length of time. Plenty of people seemed to be using single 36 or 38t rings up front.

*I finished inside the top ten so it’s not like I was making up the numbers.

oldgit
    Free Member

You can use 34/50 just fine with a 12/25.
    Todays course had six hairpins traversing a hillside, that’s where cantis are great as you can pedal and brake and steer without the risk of going over the bars when your front wheel is ninty degrees to the frame.
    Seen just one disc, same bloke with just a front one.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

46/36 & 11/34, front disc rear canti, no racing just playing 😀

LardLover
    Free Member

Didn’t notice anyone using Campagnolo, any reasons why not? (only asking as that’s what I will be swapping over)

Let’s talk wheels now.

I’ve got Campag Khamsin’s that I would be wanting to use. Do you they’d be strong enough or should be looking at new wheels before I venture off road?

oldgit
    Free Member

Any kit will do if you want to race, you don’t see much pretentious kit at actual races.

STATO
    Free Member

I was there today, lots of nice kit flying about.

I run campagnolo on my crossbike, 39-46 front, 13-29 on the back (biggest campy do). No issues other than the rear mech seems to clog with mud/grass a bit more than shimano. Seems to do fine and its only 1hr so you shouldnt be easing off into the easy gears anyway ;0)

Get along to the CXNE or NECCL races if you fancy giving racing a shot (MTB’s usually welcome).

jonba
    Free Member

NECCL are cheaper. I was put off the CXNE by the need to have a licence and the £10 entry fee. NECCL lets you race on a TLI racing licence which is £17 and then race entry is £5.

convert

My cross bike does lots of stuff – road winter hack, touring, “recreational” cross, proper CX racing.

Because of this I have a 48-36-24 xt trekking chainset on it.

road winter hack – use a 12-23 9spd rear and ignore the granny – not that dissimilar to a normal compact.

Touring – if it’s 12-27 or a mtb 11-32 and use all 3 rings.

rec cross – 11-32 with all 3 rings normally.

cx race – 12-27 and ignore the granny.

not perfect but works in most situations. the triple might get a few looks at the cx race but they are a pretty inclusive bunch.

STATO
    Free Member
    LardLover
    Free Member

Cheers STATO

Raouligan
    Free Member

46×36 12-25 FTW have a look at cxmagazine and crosscrazy for inspiration as well as weight weenies cross board.

I fully expect to be seeing something light weight and bling very soon, in fact don’t mess about and just go for it eh ;0)

There’s a good chap!

LardLover
    Free Member

Man, I’m SERIOUSLY tempted, can get it for a nice price too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about gear ratios on cyclocross bikes.’ is closed to new replies.