Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Talk to me about dropper posts.
  • robdob
    Free Member

I haven’t bought any mags for years, last big MTB purchase was my Pitch pro at the beginning of 2010. And I love it.

Tried a cheap non remote dropper post and liked it, so I want to buy a remote one.

I need a 30.9mm one. The distance from my saddle rails to the seat clamp is 190mm and I can fit 19cm of seatpost into the seat tube before it hits the bend in the frame. I’d like one that drops as much as possible.

I want something that is reliable and works well – not bothered about the absolute cutting edge tech but I don’t mind paying for quality – just save up more!! Parts and backup is very important to me.

Thanks in advance!!!

tomhoward

Reverb.

/thread

robdob
    Free Member

I kinda thought that… isn’t there any others that come close?

Need help on size/length though.

tomhoward

125mm drop 380mm post length

righog
    Free Member

Buy a reverb or a KS, they are both great, You need to check length and Od carefully. They are truly brilliant.

teef
    Free Member

I’d avoid KS at the moment – I’ve got one and am having problems with it. I took it back the LBS I bought it from and they told me KS don’t currently have a UK distributor so the can’t send it to anyone to be serviced.

Mate has just got a Reverb and reckons it’s miles better than the KS he used to have.

matther01
    Free Member

KS LEV or Reverb. LEV requires no bleed and real easy to set up…but no UK distributer if things go wrong.

Reverb equally good but bleeding can be a pain in the arse.

Having had both, I prefer the KS for lack of faff.

righog
    Free Member

To be a bit more helpful. I have a Reverb and it has been really good, I have sent it back twice and it has been replaced, so the back up has been great and I prefer the way it works to the KS.

A lot of the guys I ride with run KS’s They are cheaper to buy, but as above they have no UK distributor ATM, this has never been been a problem as they have always serviced them themselves, without any problems.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I’ve had a KS i950 for two years now and it it has been fine (2-3 rides a week). I take it apart for a clean and lube every two months or so. The only time it really acted up is when I neglected the regular service and there was a build up of dirt at the actuation arm at the top of the post. Still working as new. I only want a Lev because of the fixed cable anchor and the shielded actuation mechanism.

The only thing I don’t like about the Reverb is actually the hydraulic actuation. Rip a hydraulic line in the middle of nowhere and you can’t just rebleed the thing on the trail. With a KS (or the rest of them for that matter) it’s just a regular shifter cable.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a Reverb and have been really happy with it. I run the lever under the bar to give it some protection (I’m running a right hand lever under the left side of my bar). I was really worried about the hose when the post was dopped but I’ve not noticed it; I don’t catch my heels on it and the tyre doesn’t buzz it as the suspension compresses. Personally I’m not too fussed about the ink of pulling a hydraulic line out because I do t do wilderness epics so I’ll never be that far away from civilisation.

I’ve ridden a Lev last week and it was pretty good. The fixed cable fitting was really good and I quite like the way the lever was integrated into the grip although I prefer being able to set it away from the grip like with my Reverb because it feels more natural to be. I don’t know if it was just the one that I was using, but I didn’t find that it dropped as quickly or as smoothly as my Reverb. The lack of distributor would put me off too.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I’d consider a specialized command post, mine was excellent and at about 2 years old I’m reasonably sure it had never been serviced, still worked fine.
    Lot cheaper than a reverb if you’re looking 2nd hand, never used a reverb so can’t comment on how much better they are, but the command post is certainly excellent in its own right.

Northwind

I’ve got 2 KS’s, they’re fine but yep temporary lack of distributor is a concern. Just as good as a reverb, though, and without the crazily expensive and harder to find spares.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Have a Joplin 4 and been pretty happy with it. No issues and still going strong after two years.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d never pay full price for a Rverb because I’m tight but they do seem to crop up in sales quite a lot. I picked mine up cheap from Wiggle…the cost of spares does scare me but hey ho.

robdob
    Free Member

I was heading for a Reverb but I’ll check out the KS ones too.

honourablegeorge

Had both, Reverb lever under the bars is miles better ergonomically, KS lever looks like a good idea but isn’t – Reverb not having a cable makes it work better and more reliably.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Reverb.

/thread

christhetall
    Free Member

Had a reverb for 18 months, and have now sent it off to SRAM for a service.

I miss it so much !!!!

It really improves the flow of a ride

On my ride on Sunday I was even pressing the handlebar where the remote should have been !

Tracey

Running Specialized Command posts on all of our bikes with no problems.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about dropper posts.’ is closed to new replies.