• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about drones !
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

being a bit of a gadget freek, I keep thinking about these drones !,does anyone of you have one ?,whats the best in terms of all round duarabilty and value,ease of use etc..

I already have have a camera !

ahwiles
    Free Member

how is ‘drone’ different from ‘radio-controlled’?

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these on the way.

http://www.hobbywow.com/product.aspx?productid=237632&sename=en-copy-of-cg022-6-axis-led-headless-mode-mini-rc-quadcopter-rtf-2-4ghz&

Has “headless mode” which makes it easy to return to base if you fly it too high/far away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlexSimon

So cheap allthepies – but it wont take a GoPro will it?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Do a search for hubsan x4, loads on here recently. It’s more of a ‘toy’ quad copter though, but plenty of food for thought on that thread

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s obviously very small and doesn’t come with a camera. It ain’t going to lift a go pro either 😉

A cheap way of learning to fly a quad without the worry of crashing an expensive one though.

AlexSimon

indeed – looks great.

nemesis
    Free Member

So, how big a ‘drone’ would you need to be able to carry a mobile phone? I have a few old ones that aren’t worth much (eg if I lost them it wouldn’t be the end of the world) and it’d be cool to take some aerial photos or videos.

aracer
    Free Member

If you just want to film, I think the cheapest route is the X4 with camera – about £35 on ebay (search for h107c, which is the camera version – h107d is the FPV version if you want that). Of course there are other things you could do with a phone, but you’ll need something fairly big to carry one, and it will hit battery life quite badly.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks

I guess that the advantage of a mobile is that you can get apps to do pretty much anything, be that timer photos, GPS tracking, remote triggering and so on.

Milkie
    Free Member

I signed up for a Hexo+ autonomous drone.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKy_Qa6lMU0[/video]
    Due for release in May next year.

So come May/June I’ll be the idiot at the side of a trail crying because it’s crashed or getting angry because it’s not working, or asking people “have you seen my drone!?” 😕

Still thinking about ordering the bits to build my own little quadcopter over winter.. Where was that thread on the £99 quadcopter?

pk13

Well it looks like existing laws might be enforced.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29687769

a work colleague has one cost about a grand and it’s ace when fitted with a gopro .

andytherocketeer

Wish they’d stop calling RC multirotors “drones”\

A few friends have DJI quad- and hexa-copters, with various levels of electronics and camera gear. All have the GPS gubbins. One has gimbal gyro camera mount. Most are set up in the n00b mode, so can fly at altitude hold, or let go of controls and it will hover and/or return home.

Parrot (one pictured in the bbc article) is a nice toy but pricey when you compare it to a basic DJI (or similar) full RC set up.

All the WiFi based ones are easily hackable.

tthew

Personal experience suggest avoid the DJI Phantom 2 vision+, it’s a great basic multi rotor, but when you smash it, (when!) the camera is vulnerable and costs half the price of the full kit.

There’s a company called Heliguy in the North East, and they do Phantom 2 build with all the kit, excluding the camera which you already have for about £1k. If you break that, then the parts should be cheaper individually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about drones !’ is closed to new replies.