Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about Derby
  • bigsi
    Free Member

What’s it like?

I’m up there next week for a training course staying in a hotel in Pride Park.

Where’s good to eat and drink (real ale not chav bars). Seen the Brunswick Inn which looks hopeful 😕

Any pointers of stuff to do in the evenings gratefully recd.

Not taking the bike as don’t think I’ll have time to get out on it which is a shame as I’ve would imagine there’s alot of good riding in the area 🙁

Cheers

ton

the british government have just fecked derby big time.

bigsi
    Free Member

Does that mean all the pubs & restaurants have now closed down? 😯

btw i thought the british government were trying to **** the whole country not just Derby 😉

lunge

The Greyhound is good, nice beer and good food on offer, the Royal Exchange is owned by the same people and again is worth a visit. Both offer the holy grail of good beer and strong cheddar.

The Dolphin is a proper old world real ale pub.

Limes is a bit pretentious but is OK if you want a drink in somewhere nice, not bad to take a young lady if you’re looking to impress.

btw i thought the british government were trying to **** the whole country anywhere north of Watford, not just Derby

FTFY

lunge

Come on guys, bigsi has just asked for some advice on pubs and things to do in Derby, let’s leave the politics for a different thread.

Well, despite living half an hour away, I’m struggling tbh. I know very little about it pub wise, head out to Matlock and I can offer some advice…

allthepies
    Free Member

The Brunswick rocks, can’t go wrong there.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Brunswick is nice although often a bit full. I dunno if they do food.

Brewery Tap is nice too – it’s the Derby Brewery pub, so it does nice beer. They also do beer and cheese, which is a nice combination. They do nice enough food but very much of the chips and things variety.

If you want a fancy meal, Zest is quite nice in a very English way. Ebi Sushi is supposed to be a very good but not cheap sushi restaurant (big Toyota factory in Derby, hence good Japanese food).

If you want dodgy drinking curries, London Road near the station has some (not very far from Pride Park). This one is actually quite okay: http://www.everestderby.co.uk/

If you had a whole free evening, you could drive up the A38 then A6 to some lovely riding in about half an hour.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As said greyhound on Ashbourne road is nice, move further down to friargate for the livelier but still nice bars. Walked by the tap and barrel the other night, it was rammed with people for a Friday. Spice lounge for an Indian, mcturks for a kebab, Pierre Vics for nice resteraunt. On pride park you’ve got a couple of resteraunt/pubs, usual affair such as old Orleans I think. Good cinema on top of the westfield again with a bit of a snack/resteraunt/bar affair in it. Ten pin about 10 mins cab away, full of the usuals but serves cold beer has laser quest and a few American pool tables!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Was it the brewery tap I walked by then and not the tap and barrel. Had a head full of beer on the way back from the t20 cricket???

neil853
    Free Member

everytime I went to Derby to see a mate at uni it rained, not sure how much help that is but there you go. Also the cheapest place i’ve ver been to for a night out

benman
    Free Member

For real ale theres plenty in Derby – Dolphin (as previously mentioned), the Flowerpot, Old Silk Mill, all in the same area (up by the cathedral). Eating wise I’m less clued up, though the food in the Dolphin isn’t bad.

lunge

The Brewery Tap is good, great jukebox as well.

bigsi
    Free Member

I think The Brewery Tap will be going on the list.

Cheers for the other suggestions. Should be enough to keep me going for 3 nights 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Derby’ is closed to new replies.