Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Talk to me about… Cyclo Cross & Adventure bikes…
  • PrinceJohn

What’s the difference? How do they compare to a road bike? & are there any good singlespeed ones?

Been looking at the Charge Plug & the Mango Point AR (which annoyingly doesn’t come in a singlespeed option…so isn’t really on the list)

lunge

CX – steep angles, high BB, no mounts for guards etc, smaller chain rings, perfect for ragging round a field for an hour.
    Adventure/gravel/gnarmac – relaxed angles, mounts, compact chainset, built for comfort and longer distances.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Why take a perfectly good “do-anything” bike and hamstring it by making it singlespeed.
    I did 25 miles mostly offroad on the Quantocks yesterday and 40 miles on road on Exmoor today, about 1000m of climbing each ride, I wouldn’t have got up a lot of the climbs on a SS and would have wasted a lot of coasting when I could have been pedalling a geared bike.

But then maybe you live somewhere flat.

Edit: Whyte Saxon CX BTW (pretty relaxed)

cp

Why take a perfectly good “do-anything” bike and hamstring it by making it singlespeed.

This!

PrinceJohn

Adventure/gravel/gnarmac – relaxed angles, mounts, compact chainset, built for comfort and longer distances.

So that sounds like it’d be better for what I want…

I did 25 miles mostly offroad on the Quantocks yesterday and 40 miles on road on Exmoor today, about 1000m of climbing each ride, I wouldn’t have got up a lot of the climbs on a SS and would have wasted a lot of coasting when I could have been pedalling a geared bike.

Depends, did a 60miles on my singlespeed last summer, with a just under 1500m of climbing. Just prefer singlespeed. Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

andyfla
    Free Member

SInglespeed ? But then again I have never understood it

Tripster Atr – I believe there is a tread around here somewhere ?

cookeaa

Someone pointed out the Arkose single on a thread yesterday, I would call that an SS adventure/gravel bike, but it’s got an EBB and the option of a gear dangler so sort of covers the geared option if you ever wanted to

One man’s “hamstrung” is another’s “elegant simplicity”… Each to their own and all that…

benji
    Free Member

Niner RLT with an eccentric in it, works a treat, love mine.

Not all modern cross geometry is about high bottom brackets anymore, the courses have changed a lot over the years which has meant geometry has changed as well.

With the right attitude it’s surprising what you can get a singlespeed up.

charliemort

possible room for bigger tyres on adventure bike too (eg salsa fargo, singular gryphon)

Dibbs
    Free Member

One man’s “hamstrung” is another’s “elegant simplicity”… Each to their own and all that…

Very true! but in may case, at 58 years old my days of bursting a blood vessel just to prove I can get up a climb on a SS are long gone, I’ll stick with the 2 x 11 thanks. 😉

Ben_H

I run a Cotic Escapade as a singlespeed – I use it for wet commutes and around town (39 x 16T for hilly Bristol). It has Hope-based wheels with 37c tyres and mudguards. I like its predictable handling, grip and versatility. Weight is around 23.5lb.

By comparison, my road bike (Kinesis 4S Disc) accelerates like a rocket. It’s surprisingly comfortable on its 28c tyres, but inspires less confidence over broken surfaces than the Escapade. Its position is a lot less upright than the Cotic and you ride closer to the ground. Weight is around 19lb.

Although they look similar to the untrained eye, they’re very different sorts of bikes and I’d suggest you rode both!!

iainc

What’s the difference? How do they compare to a road bike?

I have a Croix De Fer 30 and a Giant Defy Composite.

differences :

weight – the carbon Giant is about 18 pounds I think, the CDF around 25.

versatility – the Giant is superb on tarmac roads, much better fun than the CDF – light, responsive, fast. It isn’t any good at anything else.

The CDF is a good ride on the road, takes luggage for touring, mudguards for winter, can scoot around gravel paths and forest trails – it’s very versatile, but doesn’t have a niche like a road bike or a mountain bike IMO.

ferrals
    Free Member

What’s the difference?

Ride a cyclocross bike and gorgeous girls (or boys depending on prefernce) will swoon at you athleticism, skill and swashbuckling dering-do.

Ride a gravel bike and a fifty stone mumma will chase after you wanting to tease the bits of dried food out of your plaid shirt and long matted beard.

PrinceJohn

Ride a gravel bike and a fifty stone mumma will chase after you wanting to tease the bits of dried food out of your plaid shirt and long matted beard.

Have you been stalking me?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

CX bike FTW

kcal

Very true! but in may case, at 58 years old my days of bursting a blood vessel just to prove I can get up a climb on a SS are long gone, I’ll stick with the 2 x 11 thanks.

lol. Ran my general purpose road/gravel bike for a while SS when I rubbed the rear mech, was actually quite a lot of fun. Also have a SS MTB, and currently a fixed gear mongrel (MTB frame, drop bars) for quick blasts (although have done 80 odd mile trips on it, gently)..

I’m 53…

PrinceJohn

So… this happened…

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks lovely!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Did you build it up from a frame?

PrinceJohn

Did you build it up from a frame?

Nope it comes like that, I changed the saddle & bar tape.

Bregante

Has anyone got any experience of the Focus Mares AX range of CX Bikes?

I can’t make my mind up whether I like this or not.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have the carbon Focus and it is BEAUTIFUL! I like the Focus’ I was considering getting an AX as a pit bike for next season! They are great to ride love it!

Bregante

Cheers. I’ve seen a decent deal on a 56 but at 6ft I’m concerned that it might be a bit short in the top tube (no plans to race – it would serve as a bit of an all purpose / winter bike)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about… Cyclo Cross & Adventure bikes…’ is closed to new replies.