Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Talk to me about cycle computers
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

The last one I had was an Avocet 30. Are wireless ones reliable? Is there anything that’s easy to switch between bikes? Or are they so reliable at the cheap end that you just get two. Average speed/pace arrow would be nice as would cadence.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

all wireless ones seem reliable.
    if you want to swatch between a number of bikes i would consider GPS. Price up a number of units and bits and there is not huge difference between just having one GPS.
    I like cadence on my road bike but have no use for it off road
    I think cateye do spare mounts and bits so you can swap about as do others.
    Failing that a number of cheap aldi lidl ones works fine as well

RealMan
    Free Member

cateyes do the job well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I am running two of Tesco’s cheapest corded computers. They just keep on going. Over the years I have done Cateye and Vetta and Avocet all of them were the dogs nuts at various stages of the mtb time continum but they all eventually packed up so I am more than happy with Tesco’s. My mate trumped me with the Tesco cordless but it never really worked properly so don’t bother with that. The only downside of the Tesco jobbies is the size.

I sound like a right pikey or someone my Dads age! Honestly I am not and my bikes are fully pimped with all your usual top end bike name brands, I just got fed up with so called top of the range computers packing up.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I own a cateye strada wireless one, which I use on a roadie (covered nearly 3000 miles – still on the original batteries), coped with the odd shower without issue. Fitting was fairly easy too.

I also use an i-got-u GPS logging device (I own the GT-600 unit) to track where I’ve been (I don’t own a smart phone & didn’t want to shell out for a full GPS). It gives me stats on average speed vs distance/time, pace, altitude vs distance/time, max speed, average speed, calories burnt etc. I use it for both Roadie & MTB duties. It doesn’t give you feedback whilst riding (download to PC once you’ve finished). Think I paid about £55 for the one I’ve got.

Very happy with both of these.

monkeychild
    Free Member

VDO. German and reliable plus they are meant to be amazing when it comes to warranty stuff.
    I bought one with cadence for my road bike and it’s ace.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks all. In the end, I ordered a cateye strada wired computer with cadence. At twenty seven quid, I couldnt say no. The frame is black so it’s not going to be an issue hiding the cables under electrical tape.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I just got fed up with so called top of the range computers packing up.

+1. I’ve had Cateye ones and all sorts. Currently got a Sigma wireless one which gets through batteries at an alarming rate. Had a really fancy CatEye one which died after two rides. Others have been flimsy, poor wiring or just died for no apparent reason.

Three of my bikes now have cheapo LiDLs ones; £4 or something daft. Two have lasted over two years, only one has needed a new battery. They just do their job. Puzzles me why such a simple bit of technology ‘needs’ to cost £30 or more to do exactly the same thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about cycle computers’ is closed to new replies.