Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • talk to me (?!) about cross bikes.
  • racefaceec90

i was planning on starting to save for a guitar,but as some people have said to me (if you have read any of my gaming threads) that i need to get out more 😉 as i’m a crap guitarist,i have instead,decided to focus on getting my first road/cross bike.to be honest i have wanted a road bike for a long time (have just never got around to saving for one). i was planning on going for one of these beauties but whilst perusing the genesis web site,i came across this stunning machine 😀 i feel that this will be a lot more versatile than the equilibrium,but still fast on tarmac.would i be right in assuming that for the same amount of energy put in,i would go a lot faster on the road than if i was riding my duster mtb due to lack of drag,aerodynamics e.t.c? also if i was going off road with it how much harder would i find it than riding my duster (am thinking the ridgeway around avebury/marlbrough downs).apologies for all the stupid questions,but i just wanted to ask experienced cross riders what they are like to be honest (before starting to pay towards the bike this thursday).as always thanks 😀

flip
    Free Member

would i be right in assuming that for the same amount of energy put in,i would go a lot faster on the road than if i was riding my duster mtb due to lack of drag,aerodynamics e.t.c?

Yes.

That Croix is a lovely bike, bit heavy for competition, but lovely.

Also it has i believe 50/34 rings? a compact chainset, for off road a 36/46 is really better.

Get one.

oldgit
    Free Member

As much as I love cross bikes, I’d go for the road only option. Especialy as you have a perfectly good mtb. It’s pretty horrid hauling a hefty road bike up a long climb.

flip
    Free Member

As much as I love cross bikes, I’d go for the road only option. Especialy as you have a perfectly good mtb. It’s pretty horrid hauling a hefty road bike up a long climb.

Yes this also.

project
    Free Member

CX BIKES usally ride faster due to narrow tyres and better gearing, and theyre lighter, you can also fit roadie tyres on them, alsong with mudguards.

oldgit
    Free Member

Whilst the CdF is capable of tackling most terrain you will struggle unless you are very fit and/or technically capable.
    The gearing and cx geometry for instance won’t allow you to climb loose, steep technical stuff. You’ll also have trouble crossing very rooty ground, the Cdfs combination of rigid fork and narrow tyres are no match for suspension and fat tyres.
    Take it onto the road and you’ll wonder why you just didn’t get a road bike.
    The CdF is a weird one, not an mtb and not a racer. And I’ve owned one.

Get the road bike a spare tube and pump and head out onto the lanes.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Road all the way.

racefaceec90

thanks everyone,it seems the equilibrium wins it.to be honest i understand what you mean.i saw an equilibrium 20 bike at john’s bikes in bath,and it looked stunning.when i picked it up,it felt very light also 😀 i’ll be back with pictures of it (in around 6 or so months time 😉 🙂

Bazz

You need to ask yourself what you want out of the bike, if it’s purely for road rides get a road bike. If on the other hand you may want to dabble at racing cross or do a bit of light touring or even just have a bike that will enable you to ride a few bridle ways mixed in with a bit of road then a cross bike could be the way forward.

I bought a Genesis Vapour as i wanted the latter and also use it for commuting (i find the slightly more relaxed geometry easier in traffic and in towns) and as a winter road bike.

If you specifically want disc brakes Genesis now do the Vapour in a disc version and it’s probably a couple of pounds lighter than the CdF.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘talk to me (?!) about cross bikes.’ is closed to new replies.