Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Talk to me about Crank Bros Egg beater & candy pedals
  • billybob
    Free Member

Both my sets of my time pedals have given up the ghost and I'm contemplating switching to Crank bros as they are cheaper to buy than times – are they as bad as everyone says or do they just need to be properly maintained?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

are they as bad as everyone says or do they just need to be properly maintained?

thats a proper can o' worms!

i've been using them (the sl eggbeater variant) for a few years now and like them, mainly that i've had no probs with them and also that you can strip them down easily if required.

should also be mentioned that the customer service from both cb and 2pure is second to none and for that alone i would use cb products.

neninja
    Free Member

Got a set of Candy 2ti – they've been faultless for me. Open them up and clean and replace the grease every couple of months and replaced the bearing and bush once.

Just changed the Smartys on the other bike for a set of MG1 flats but there was nothing wrong with them.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got 2 sets of smartys, going well so far, no problems at all. If and when they wear out I'll be getting some better cb ones. Quite fancy some of their other stuff as well…

parkesie
    Free Member

if your used to shimano pedals egg beaters seem to need alot of tlc. I didnt service mine for 1 summer and they fell apart. Who wants to service pedals? Not me im back on shimano xt's fit and forget for years at a time.

DT78
    Free Member

I could not unclip from them so stuck with shimanos. So much so that I never actually tried them off road just in the living room. Got a set in the spares box if you want them – candy c's I think in grey, came with my duster.

yetirose
    Free Member

ive been using stainless egg beaters for years without any problems , two pure back up service is superb, just make sure that you grease them regularly ,its worth investing in a small grease gun , and when you do need bearings they are easy to service . theirs a lot of float with them that seems to help if you have a knee problem as well . cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

i have egg beaters candys mallets and the road ones (cant remember the name) only prob ive had was i smashed one of the clips on my eggies when i clouted a rock

but i also have some 5050xx flats and one of them fell apart the other day on a decent ;-(

also 2pure are great if you have to deal with them

spw3

Eggbeaters were easy to use. I wanted to clip out of them more easily so I just filed the soft brass cleats a bit. Then all was well.

I think they both need more maintenance but are at the same time very easy to maintain. If you hate having to touch your bike from one year to the next then avoid. If you don't mind quickly & easily stripping down a pedal once or twice a year then have no fear.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have a set of candy Ti's they are into their 5th year just had to buy a rebuild kit, they have been most reliable part on my bike but I may be going against the grain on this one.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Swapped to candy c's as my time atac xe's were on their last legs after 5 yrs without touching them. I'd just got a new bike and needed 2 sets of pedals so gave the candys a go. Nowhere near as positive as time for clicking in, and harder to unclip but pretty good for the money

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Crank Bros Egg beater & candy pedals’ is closed to new replies.