• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Talk to me about Crank Bros Candy Pedals
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Done a search but couldnt find much on here:

Im looking for some new pedals to go on my new Five when it comes, I used M520 on my old hardtail and these were no problems but im thinking about something with a bit more platform for a bit more stability on the downs.

My other options are M424s

Its mainly for Trail Centres and XC like lakes, Cheviots etc.

Oh and I have Shimano MT41 Shoes, should I stick with Shimano? Are these reliable pedals?

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

i have them and they are great! Less to go wrong but saying that I never broke any Shimanos… Although a fella out with me today said his Spds had frozen!!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Shimanos have a much better platform and a more positive engagement.

The Crank Bros pedals are light, mechanically simple and very cheap to service.

If you're looking for a decent platform alternative to the Shimano DX then you're best off looking at the Crank Bros Mallet or Acid.

TBH I find my Candys are more than adequate for my riding and I do pretty much the same as you, however it's very much a confidence thing. I'd recommend a platform pedal for newbie riders every time.

richcc
    Free Member

I've got Candy's on 2 bikes – commuter and MTB. There's obviously more platform than a plain eggbeater but still not much. If you want more then it would be worth looking at Mallets. Plenty of people seem to slag off crank bros pedals but I find them fine.

carbon337
    Free Member

Not really a confidence thing as I used to use the M520s which were tiny by comparison but they were occasionally quite hard to engage with on rock gardens if I had to dab a foot and get going again.

Now to decide If I want lighter and smaller or bigger and heavier. The CRC offer looks quite good.

Any one use the Crank bros with the Shimano DX MP66 shoes?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I've used Crank Bros pedals for years, but recently changed to Time. I did this because when CB pedals go, they seem to implode within a few hundred yards, leaving you stuffed miles from anywhere. This is a shame, because otherwise they are great.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've got 11 sets of various CB pedals, they are good and now they have been out for a wee while parts are real easy to get and you can get some bargains if you look about.
    As above cheap and easy to service.

mafiafish
    Free Member

even the basic modes are as light or lighter than the top end shimano stuff for a fraction of the price. I find they disengage a bit too easy in the rough and tumble but I guess swapping the cleats over would solve this. I learned to use spds with candys and didn't really have any problems except that they really 'loosen up' takes maybe a quater of the effort to unclip now than it did when they were fresh.
    I'm not really a big beliver in the whole platform thing because if your foot comes our or you unclip for a dabby bit flat plastic on flat plastic isn't going to give any real grip. The mallet might be a better choice for this reason.

Del

i've been a believer in eggbeaters for some ( 4 or 5 ) years. easy in, easy out, and have used candys and mallets extensively.
    found candys give enough support, and with the right boots ( i use shimano mt90 ), you get enough purchase on them to unclip or pedal unclipped until you get a second to clip in.

i'm going over to times. just as easy in and out, and i went to service a set the gf has had for 4-5 years a while back. i took the pedal off the spindle, and put it straight back on again – nothing to do.

i'm not saying too much more because i intend to put in a warranty claim on my most recent set of candy sl which failed catastrophically on a ride, which would not have been prevented by servicing.
    the later ones look like a better design, with two bearings rather than just one with a bushing, but this still would not prevent the failure mode i experienced with these pedals.

shame. i have liked them, but i've had enough. i honestly have no axe to grind here. i've persevered with these for some period, as they do work nicely, but i can't put up with something that fails like these did.
    never found cleat wear a big issue, which i know some people have experienced, and bought a stock of bearings to service 'em with, so cheap and easy to work on. unfortunately the pedals themselves only seemed to last as long as the cleats. either there was some significant failure or the wear to the bars was enough that they just needed replacing complete.

look at the time rock and freeride pedals as alternatives. only go for bigger cages if you feel like you need to support your foot to stop it from rolling around, IMO.

HTH.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Crank Bros Candy Pedals’ is closed to new replies.