Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about cockpit geometry
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

As it says.

I suffer from neck ache after being in the saddle for about an hour. So if I reduce my stem length and go to narrower bars will this in effect push my body more upright? Possibly reducing the neckache?

cynic-al
    Free Member

calling it a cockpit is most likely causing your woes 😉

Your guess sounds reasonable tho I am no expert. hi rise bars, saddle forward might help too.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Are your bars way lower than your saddle? This can cause neck ache as your neck would be in a position similar to sitting on a chair constantly looking at the ceiling.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Quite about lower. Trying a shorter steeper stem so that might work?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Something with a good rise on it, got the same issue with my missus on her bike, too stretched out so fitting a shorther stem with a steep rise and shorter bars probably low rise

cookeaa

higher rise bars an option also?

Oh and can you increase the height of your stem at all? how many stackers above/below?

agree about checking the saddles fore/aft position might even be worth looking at an inline type post (if your current one is layback)….

do any other parts of you ache on longer rides?

Rickos
    Free Member

If your bars are quite a lot lower than your seat in an old skool stylee, then a shorter stem would only exacerbate matters, no? Get on all fours and put your hands in varying positions to see.

[tries it and gets weird looks off the kids]

It kind of works. If your back is more upright you have to tip your head further back to see the same point.

What bike is it? Might be time for a more trail style bike with bars and saddle at a more even height.

EDIT – of course raising the stem or bars would help… 😳

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Gt sensor 1 is the bike.

If my back is more upright so closer to vertical surely I would be looking at the same point with less neck bend?

I’d of thought bringing the stem in would push me back if you lie contributing to a more vertical back?

RobHilton
    Free Member

If my back is more upright so closer to vertical surely I would be looking at the same point with less neck bend?

Correct; I think he worded it badly, so what he said was the opposite of what he meant.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Ahhhh right. Gonna change the stem, shorter. Might get some narrower bars.

Don’t get any aches anywhere else, it is literally just my neck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about cockpit geometry’ is closed to new replies.