Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about BT broadband calls
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

im confused, they say with their broadband you get free evening and weekend calls but the blurb says

When you order BT Broadband, you will receive a new BT Broadband Talk phone number – in addition to your existing phone number. Then all you need to do is plug in your phone and dial the number – just like on an ordinary landline phone. And don't worry, your existing phone number will still work and you can make and receive calls over both this and your BT Broadband Talk number at the same time.

Why do you still have another phone line with BT? can anyone explain? basically I am ditching virgin and want Telephone and broadband and am looking at freesat for TV

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Basically it is an interweb phone like a Skype phone and a rubbish way of making you think you are getting good value when you could get any broadband and buy a Skype phone/any old headset and make interweb calls. I believe you can also do it on MSN and stuff too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I think that the Broadband Talk phone number is for the skype type phone that can be used with the Hub (aka the router), works over the internet, and is totally separate from your normal phone. I have one of those numbers assigned but I've never used it and I just use my normal phone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyRT
    Free Member

I a with BT and just got bushwhacked for a 12 month contract, as they measure usage, not download and my son likes Cbeebies games, and this has cost me quite a bit in penalty charges (£1 per Gb over my limit per month) and they very nicely had sent me an email to my bt email account I don't actually use.

I love them

spacemonkey

I've heard too many bad things about BT broadband to ever commit to a 1yr contract with them – which appears to be what they want. Hence when we dumped Tiscali a couple of years ago, we chose Zen for BB and stuck with BT (option 3) for calls (which I think is unlimited free calls peak/off peak, 0800/0845, and reduced mobiles, etc).

Personally, I don't like committing 1yr up front to something I don't believe enough in. Zen, on the other, offer a month to month contract, so if you don't like it then you can move on. Two years on and only a couple of hiccups, but they were resolved properly by English speaking people in England who answered the phone within seconds, and called me back when they said they would. Might cost a bit more, but I get peace of mind.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thanks, I am trying to find the best 10meg BB and talk evenings & weekends package to include line rental, there are far too many comparison sites!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What you need is a comparison site to find out which is best.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

they very nicely had sent me an email to my bt email account I don't actually use.

I went over my limit once in 3 years and got a charge without even getting a warning about my usage or to be told I was going to be charged.

I have just left them and they asked why so I explained about the charge and they said I should have called them to tell them and they would have cancelled it and that they would still be happy to credit it back to my account so I got them to credit it back. Then cancelled anyway. Muppets.

gonefishin
    Free Member

as they measure usage, not download

Don't all ISPs measure your usage in exactly the same way? I went over my limit the first month I had it but I wasn't charged. There was some reason why but I can't remember what it was. I'm sure you can forward all messages from your BT account to whichever one you do use.

Don't get me wrong I almost certainly be changing when my year is up, but they were the only company that would said they could supply broadband to my new home.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes you can forward from pop3 accounts dead easy and I do – BT just didn't bother saying anything in my case.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about BT broadband calls’ is closed to new replies.