Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Talk to me about bruising and swelling (contains pics)
  • wwaswas

Nothing of DerekStarshipesque proportions, sorry.

Background is that I had an over the bars last Thursday. As I came off my lower back/side hit a tree.

It was a fairly hard impact – certainly the first for a while where I’ve thought ‘I’ll just lay here swearing to myself until I can assess if the pain/damage is too much to contemplate moving on’. Anyway, after a few minutes it had died down enough to carry on.

All been a bit uncomfortable since, from the base of my spine up to bottom of rib cage and around to the front of my pelvis is all very tender and swollen. Over the past 36 hours some significant bruising has come up on one side – this is mostly where the waist band of my jeans is, tbh, it’s not actually where the pain is worse when pressed or where most of the impact with the tree was.

Main thing I’m worried about is the amount of swelling where there isn’t any bruising visible – not sure if it’s clear from the pic but one side is significantly fatter than the other – this carries on around my back – to the extent I get a bit of a muffin top only on that side when my jeans are done up.

Movement doesn’t seem to be substantially affected but it’s uncomfortable to run or bend over.

Pattern on the bruising is where pressure from clothes has been highest I think.

So, seek medical attention or just mtfu?

motozulu
    Free Member

Nothing to MTFU over tbh – the danger of internal bleeding is very real here – you could be at risk of a blood clot breaking free and causing problems. I would deffo seek medical advice mate.

On a more serious note though, you really need to sort out that sticky outy belly button, or run the real risk of dying a virgin. 😀

wwaswas

I knew the belly button would cause controversy 🙁

TimP
    Free Member

What do you do without belly button fluff???
    Also if you have your trousers up that high are you related to Simon Cowell?

wwaswas

What would I do with it?

motozulu
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it – when I was in my 20’s I too had the distressing sticky out belly button syndrome.

Now, 30 years on, my belly button is the same distance from my spine but certainly does’nt stick out anymore – I’d need deep shaft mining gear to find the bugger these days. 🙁

klumpy
    Free Member

Go to a cosmetic surgeon and have a belly button put in.
    Then go to the doctor to check you won’t die from the crash.
    Then go to a physio to start making the best recovery from the damage.

(You might mess with the order depending on your own priorities.)

legolam
    Free Member

Needs checked out – kidney damage and retro peritoneal bleeding would look like this. You need to get an ultrasound of the swelling, and A&E is your best bet for getting this done in a timely fashion. Probably wont be busy at this time on a Tuesday morning either.

Agree with the comments about your belly button too 😉

A Female Doctor 🙂

wwaswas

ah, just booked GP’s for tomorrow am but that might be a waste of time/not quick enough?

legolam
    Free Member

TBH, GPs aren’t best placed to access quick scanning. This is the kind of thing Accident and Emergency departments are designed for, so that would be my choice. It’s a bit more inconvenient but you should be in and out with a diagnosis in under 4 hours (ish). Although you’ve managed to survive 5 days, so it’s clearly not THAT life threatening!

I’m sure the GP can refer you onwards for belly button correction though 😉 😆

wwaswas

Any more of the belly button gags and I’ll sit here and bleed to death just to spite you 😉

(thanks – I’ll probably head over there with a book in a bit)

scaled
    Free Member

If you like i can post a picture of my even freakier belly button 😀

TimP
    Free Member

wwaswas – see here http://www.feargod.net/fluff.html

motozulu
    Free Member

😀

Seriously, I would. A football teamate of mine years back had a kick to his lower back during a match we were playing in. He showed me his back in the pub a few hours later – looked similar to yours. He was ok but in a lot of pain obviously. He left it a day and went to the docs – he was rushed to hospital, his liver had been split, he was lucky, they told him he could have been one wrong movement from dying. 🙁

Don’t risk it, just get it sorted – probably is only bad bruising but…

wwaswas

fluff production seems to have been particularly high in the mid to late nineties. Was this a universal phenomenon (sp)?

rewski
    Free Member

mine was like that the other week, had a fight with a tree trunk, took three days for bruise to come up and a big hard lump, I think it’s called an hemotoma, should go down in a few days/weeks. Get it checked if you’re worried though, I’m not a doctor.

patriotpro
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

What would I do with it?

Knit something, obviously… 😆

edward2000
    Free Member

Dear Wwaswas

I had a very similar injury to my hip recently, do you want me to email you some photos? I went to the doctors because I was concerned that I had done some serious injury. The doc told me it was just a significant hematoma (a bruise) and it will get better, which it has done although the discolouration got worse. I remember doing the injury, it was the worst pain i had ever felt, it felt like I had been shot and i honestly thought id broken my hip!

Hope you get better soon!

woody2000

My mate hit a car in the same place as your bruising, he split his liver and ruptured a kidney. He was however in writhing agony and very quickly went into shock, so if you’ve lasted this long I reckon you’ve probably got some bad bruising and nothing more. I’d still be heading off to a&e though, just in case!

scaredypants

Seriously, I would

Best wait til you’ve seen his face too 😉

wwaswas

I have broken my hip in the past and this wasnt that bad pain wise. Still smarted a bit though 🙁

Heading into a&e now, I may be gone some time.

wwaswas

Well that was quick. Got a consultant who was doing some triage practice.

Prodded and poked a bit, wee test and blood pressure. Said was probably a haematoma (sp?) and gravity causing blood to collect around my waist band area.

Basically sent home with a ‘well you’re fit and healthy with no other symptoms. If you’d been less fit or in more pain etc then we’d look further but as it stands no need to do any more.’

legolam
    Free Member

Yay. I like when the system works!

DezB
    Free Member

I was gonna say that. Would’ve saved you the trip.
    And I wasn’t going to comment on your physical attributes.
    So, now that’s over got any funny videos for us? 😀

wwaswas

I do keep an eye out 🙂

This isn’t funny but really Autumnal feeling, I loved it;

[video]http://vimeo.com/53313321[/video]

Now for the tricky bit – convincing my wife that me occasionally wrapping myself around the scenery is a reasonable downside for the upside of me feeling mentally well and physically fit from cycling off road.

scaled
    Free Member

If thats cyclocross then i want a go, i fear the reality of it in the UK is somewhat different?

DezB
    Free Member

Like the video… especially as I’ve just ordered my CAAD-X 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

Good video and excellent soundtrack.

10/10

woody2000

Where is that vid www? Always think CX looks ace, but never actually get round to having a go!

EDIT: It’s Vancouver 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I smacked my knee into the ground in July and it swelled so it looked like I had a Blackpool strippers tit on my leg. It coloured up like you bruising from my groin to my ankle, especially round my sock line. I basically just left it alone. When I did my ankle the Dr noticed the swollen knee and sent me for an MRI scan on it.

Unfortunately you can’t have a MRI scan for a few weeks after general anesthetic so I wasn’t scanned until yesterday. When I get the results I will let you know if I died from the bruising

rewski
    Free Member

probably a haematoma

told ya, god I’m good. Right anyone else with any symptoms, I know what scaphoid non-union feels like.

wwaswas

go on then, diagnose the post-op result of my last major off;

jambalaya
    Free Member

On a more serious note though, you really need to sort out that sticky outy belly button, or run the real risk of dying a virgin.

I’m sure you can ensure you’ve slipped in before she’d notice

@wasawas, you posted the frontal photo for effect because you actually cannot really see any bruising in that photo ! It’s normal for bruising to come out later like that, IMO you are fine as you haven’t had any major issues, if you are worried go to the doctor.

wwaswas

the full frontal one was intended to show the swelling of non bruised bits on my left side (really).

I shall be pixellating any further full frontal shots. All the belly buttonism on here has been quite traumatic for me, tbh.

motozulu
    Free Member

My diagnosis? You’ve been eating wood screws again, haven’t you?

Possibly to ease the pain of being a sticky-outy?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about bruising and swelling (contains pics)’ is closed to new replies.