Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Talk to me about bikes for a pump track
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There is a pump track opening a few hundred yards away from my house in Edinburgh. I know this because I am part of the people who got it built.

I’d like to play on it.

I have a full sus 29er which is a great mountain bike, but isn’t particularly.. agile. Other people I see in videos on pump tracks have BMXes, or something that looks like a Dirt Jump or 4X bike? I have heard these terms.

What’s the deal with these kinds of bikes?

kayak23

Bmx rules on pump tracks. All your energy transferred into speed and really agile and chuckable.
    I’d try and get a bmx (it’ll feel right weird at first) . Failing that a low/smaller 26″ jump bike.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Definitely a proper 20″ Bmx. It’s really hard work but such good fun and you will learn some new skills that translate to the mtb.

papercutout
    Free Member

What is really important is up and down movement space, the last pump track I played on was on my 650b+ HT, which sucked until I pulled the seatpost out, then rocked. The amount of body movement is what makes it work.

(BMX or little jump bike are better though)

andysredmini
    Free Member

Also Bmx’s are dirt cheap. Simple and almost indestructible.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I’ve got a 24″ cruiser bmx for the local track. Buying it was probably definitely the single best thing I’ve ever done for my bike handling skills.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Well, seems like a bmx is the best choice.
    Off to Gumtree!

goby

Ah I got a bmx as had a pump track open 5min from work. There great use it every lunchtime and even hit the skate park now! 🙂 you feel a bit old but it’s all good and everyone there for the same fun so all good. Enjoy!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BMX +1, no need to spend loads of money as their secondhand value makes MTB’s look like a good investment.

Mine was a £1500 build, bought for £180, used for a few years and sold to Harry-the-spider for £100 (with new grips and tyres).

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’ve used my 26″ Dialled Bikes Prince Albert which I can also take out on the trails! the slicker the tires the better.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve been able to use bmx and jump bike on our pumptrack. I always prefer the jump bike, I can do it on a bmx but prefer the more stable jump bike. I’ve just managed to get a Specialized P1 for nowt, I might even take it to the local dirt jumps if I grow a set. Looking forward to the end of March and the lighter nights.

PS. I’d have got a bmx if it had been free or cheap.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Bigger wheels are much easier, so getting good at it on a BMX should translate to max benefit on trails.

Don’t fear wearing a full-face & pads, people might think you’re gonna be awesome, but IME (of face-planting, manualling a little tabletop) it’s the awesome ones who don’t need the protection :mrgreen:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about bikes for a pump track’ is closed to new replies.