Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about beardy wierdy odd shaped bars
  • mos

I’m wondering if i might get on better with some bars which have a more pronounced back sweep such as the On One OG or Fleegle or perhaps some Jones’. Whilst cruising along i always seem to want to rest my palms on the bars & turn my wrists more than the usual type of risers or straight bars allow.
    What do other people run & how do you get on in steep techy stuff, also i seem to see quite a few people using them on hard tails but not so much on FS bikes?

zippykona

I love my OG. Better than fleegle has more rise.
    Got them on full sus 26 with full mudguards so everyone can hate me!

whitestone
    Free Member

May be the on-one Mary? Looks similar to the Jones Bend H-bars. For £30 it’s cheap(ish) experiment rather than the £80 for the Jones Bend H-bar.

Gotama
    Free Member

I have a Jones bike which I’ve tried with traditional 750mm wide risers and ended up going back to the Jones bar. Cruising along the Jones bars are better in every way due to the variety of hand positions. When it gets fast and rough the new shape takes a little bit of getting used to (particularly on jumps) and I swapped around a bit at first but ultimately I find them much better now. They’re more comfortable when it is rough and I find it easier to move the bike around although i’m not quite sure why that is. Wouldn’t put anything else on the bike now.

I’ve got a 660mm Jones H-bend bar that i’m looking to sell if you’re interested in trying some out. Only reason is that I’ve swapped to the relatively recently released 710mm version. The 660mm were fine but at 6ft 3 I wanted a bit more width. Due to the weird shape (albeit the h-bend doesn’t look as alternative as a loop) they feel like a much wider bar than they measure.

mos

I too am 6’3″ so will probably go for the bigger ones as well.

Gotama
    Free Member

Definitely. Otherwise, like me, I suspect you’d find the narrower ones pin your elbows in a bit too much when its fast and rough.

mtbel
    Free Member

& how do you get on in steep techy stuff

from experience they generally walk and not even very skillfully doing that 😉

pictonroad

Got some Carbon OG bars on my 29r rigid, flippin love them. Totally converted, wish I’d bought 3 sets when they were £30. Swept bars feel so much better to me.

mtbel
    Free Member

[ img ] pic of Jeff Jones or some other beardy riding some lame little drop off [/ img ]

ton

I use joness 710mm loops. keep thinking about selling them, almost sold em, thought I had a crack in them, turned out it was not a crack, might keep em now…..they are ace comfy.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qHj33E]cidImage_FOTEA5B.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

Mary’s on my old on one, which are ace but not quite wide enough.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dQ8ibE]arty 27.01.13 015[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

humpbert bugles, which are also very comfy indeed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eVwk9G]25-06-13 test 006[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

and now running OG’s on my karate monkey.

Houns

Have the bfo jones loops on my fargo

They are superb, you feel like you could ride through anything

Riding risers after just feels wrong

ton

Riding risers after just feels wrong

risers or flats make my wrist’s hurt like hell now if I use em.

cupra
    Free Member

Jone loops on my mtb, love em 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

[ img ] pic of Jeff Jones or some other beardy riding some lame little drop off [/ img ]

This slight deviation from the norm has really got you wound up hasn’t it? 😆

jameso

I think this idea that you can only ride tech on conventional bars is a crock. Partly it’s what you’re used to, the norms etc. And it’s fair to say that the closer to average AM/DH bike suspension and geometry a bike gets the more a wide standard bar just suits the way you’d ride bike well.
    I really like H-bars and have ridden them on a rigid 29er on steep natural Alpine stuff quite happily, but I’m not a fan of them on a big FS bike that hits the highest speeds I’m able to handle. It’s all to do with preferred position on the particular bike though, nothing to do with the actual terrain I’m on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about beardy wierdy odd shaped bars’ is closed to new replies.