Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about bar end shifters
  • cupra
    Free Member

Might use these on a salsa fargo with midge bars but have never used them before. Comments / opinions?
    Thanks.

woodrz
    Free Member

Simple, fool proof unless you end up with the latest Shimano one’s that don;t have “non indexed” mode. 10 speed NOT cross compatible with MTBs. Not as good as ergoshifters for proper road bikes.

cupra
    Free Member

Thanks. So they work on friction then as opposed to indexing?

woodrz
    Free Member

Most (and I am ssuming you’re talking Shimano here) are indexed but can be switched to simple friction. The new 10 speed ones don;t have that option. You can get friction only jobbies – Suntour Powershift are a classic blast from the past in that department.

nedrapier

I’ve got Dura-ace 9 speed and midge bars on my Peregrine.

1×9 at the mo, so I’ve only got the RH shifter. Indexing is perfect, nicely positive clicks, and it’s great being able to crash through a few shifts at the same time. Friction works, but not used it much.

Midge is a good bar for them too, the short drop means you’re not moving your hand too far from brake to shifter.

9 speed dura ace are cheaper (? – certainly were) and there are less compatibility issues road v mtb, so might be a beteer option, depending.

cupra
    Free Member

nedrapier – thanks. Just what I wanted to hear!
    Much appreciated.
    Heads off to order some up….. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about bar end shifters’ is closed to new replies.