Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • talk to me about baby carreir rucksacks?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I want one.

Mini teadrinker is 9 months old but I want it to last an age for when we’re out and about. I ‘d like it for everyday use and also long walks in the lakes etc.

I don’t want to spend a fortune but don’t want to re-mortgage the house.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated 😀

totalshell

we had one ofr our two girls now 10 and 8 so wont reccomend a specific one as its 6 years since we last used ours.. make sure the young un can sit up straight before hand.. you wont go out in a hail storm so ignore the ones with canopies.. get one mini TD can use as a chair as well.

if your clumsy.. get mini TD a crash helmet i tripped twice in the 4 years we used ours out on the moors and mini tts was catapulted out!!!

totalshell

we had one ofr our two girls now 10 and 8 so wont reccomend a specific one as its 6 years since we last used ours.. make sure the young un can sit up straight before hand.. you wont go out in a hail storm so ignore the ones with canopies.. get one mini TD can use as a chair as well.

if your clumsy.. get mini TD a crash helmet i tripped twice in the 4 years we used ours out on the moors and mini tts was catapulted out!!!

geoffj

Get one with a sun shade
    We had a vaude one which was good. LittleLife also make some good ones – in fact, I’ve never seen one and thought that it looked poor TBH

jam-bo

Macpac vamoose here. He loves it.

Garry_Lager

There’s a lot on the market that are good – we’ve used a deuchter kid comfort III (I think) for 4 years now (onto the second kid) and it’s basically as good now as when it was new.
    It has the feature of being able to stand it up on the ground, which they don’t all have. This is v helpful for loading the kid in, esp if they don’t want to get in.

Basically it’s the harness that is the most important, you need well made belt / straps to distribute the weight. Carrying a 15kg+ toddler on a 5+ mile hike is quite a work out – esp if there are hills involved.

eddie11
    Free Member

The old blue and red macpacs are v. Well built and ours has done us Proud. They’re now grey and updated so can’t vouch for those

rob-jackson
    Free Member
    mangoridebike

We’ve a Deuter Kid Comfort 3 which we’re about to sell

Its been great for carrying our two around, both of them were very happy in it, and the adjustable back meant that both my wife and I were able to carry them comfortably. Only really used on summer holidays etc so its in great nick

let me know if you are interested in it – email in profile

null

BenjiM

We have a Deuter Kid Comfort II. Very comfortable for us and the little un. She absolutely loves it and will happily fall asleep in it. I second getting a sun shade / raincover too. We got ours second hand for about £70. RRP is about £150. The deuter stuff is really well built and should last until they don’t want to get in the carrier and would rather walk everywhere!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m selling an excellent Macpac one, in near new condition, with all the extras. Email in profile. Was £160 new, not sure about s/h price to be honest.

konabunny
    Free Member

I heard (off a man in the pub) that they were very bad for the kid’s pelvis/legs. Is that baws?

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem like it – in mine the (adjustable) bottom of the compartment is just a sort of saddle shaped thing, the legs don’t splay out sideways, and they sit on their arse as usual.

Garry_Lager

konabunny – Member

I heard (off a man in the pub) that they were very bad for the kid’s pelvis/legs. Is that baws? Is sitting on their aris bad for a kid’s legs? Sounds like a big bag of baws.
    Obv you don’t keep the kid sat in them for really extended periods like all day. It’s just for a few hours and even then they will want to walk a bit, get out for something to eat etc.

gray

We have an Osprey Poco and it’s super-duper ace to the max.

Boggins loves it. One of his favourite things is slapping the top of my head as we walk around.

mogrim

I had a decathlon one, worked fine – sunshade, backpack compartment for picnic/baby stuff, side meshes for a water bottle, etc.

Edit: “had” – youngest got too big to carry, so sold it.

franksinatra

we have a Littlelife Cross Country

http://www.littlelife.co.uk/products/child-carriers/child-carrier-range/cross-country-child-carrier.html

bloody brilliant thing.
    – Far and away the most comfortable rucksack I’ve ever used including some very high end expedition packs
    – Massive amount of storage under the babies bum but overall sixe is not too bulky
    – Simple design, not full of straps and stuff to break
    – Baby can sit nice and high or easily lowered is sleeping and what to rest on chin guard.

I genuinely think it is perfect, i wouldn’t change a thing on it. Best of all though, these packs, whatever the make, mean you can carry on having adventures in the countryside, so that is all good!

John Lewis have them for £100

ransos
    Free Member

We have the littlelife one too. Used it from 6 months old. Mini Ransos usually falls asleep in it, which tells you how comfortable she finds it. I get a slight creak from the straps which is a bit annoying, but that’s the only problem we’ve had. Make sure you buy the sunshade – it’s an optional extra.

franksinatra

and if you don’t get the little life one, make sure whatever one you do get has a foot step thing in it so you can hold it down to the ground whilst lifting child out of it. Probably the most important think on it. It also means you can use you foot to hold it upright as you fiddle it about, load stuff up, wipe snot etc.

jp-t853

We had a littlelife traveller and it was one of the best kid products we owned.

We sold it on ebay for more than we paid for it originally too so they don’t cost a lot while you have them.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We got the Kathmandu Baby Carrier.

It’s got a million (at least) adjustments for both the barrier and the carryee, but when you’ve fine-tuned it, it was comfortable for both of us.

It’s quite bulky but that;s the only downside.

It’s also incredibly expensive ($350AUS), but we bought it 2nd hand.

ampthill

We had 2 macpac variations and they were ace

They did a sort of cagoule that had a hood and arms and then went round the whole thing. That was great for colder weather and rain

crankboy
    Free Member

we have the littlelife one as pictured . Crankbrat seems to find it comfortable it is very adjustable. The big pluses for me are the adjustable back so it can be custom fit to me or crankygirl and the stabilising boot hole for putting child in and out. The sun/rain screen is a must but acts as a snow funnel when walking in to a blizzard ( not my best bit of parenting)

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for the input people, very drawn to the Dueter Kid comfort range, will hopefuly get a porper look at the weekend.

anagallis_arvensis

we used to have one like that Littlelife thing above, very limited window of use IMO and a waste of money, get a second hand one.

mangoridebike

I have to agree with A_A on the limited window of use aspect. We would have bought 2nd hand had we known this, ours has been woefully underused.

Teadrinker: pics coming through to you this evening – apologies for the delay.

GavinB

We had a couple of Bush Baby ones: Pinnacle and Premier, I think.

They were superb: comfortable to carry, lots of storage, good sun shade (and the Pinnacle also has a great rain cover). They are highly adjustable, and have lots of nice design touches, such as little mirrors built into the waist pocket, so you can check whats going on back there.

A couple of mates had the Macpac ones, which are good, but not as comfy to carry heavier kids was their feedback. Others may differ with that view though.

franksinatra

we used to have one like that Littlelife thing above, very limited window of use IMO and a waste of money, get a second hand one.

I completely disagree. I used mine at least weekly for each of three children from when they were too big for Baby Bjorn (6 months?) up until about 2 years old.

I still take mine out now if dragging my youngest (nearly 4) over the hills, that way if he gets tired he can jump in, although this is quite rare now.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Ours was okay when it was used, but lasted about 6 months before it was more hassle than it was worth with her wanting to get out and walk all the time, then back in 10 seconds later, repeat until done. So another don’t spend too much money.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Osprey rocks. Still carrying my near 3 year old in it!

Regarding the getting in and out, wearing it empty beats trying to chase a toddler while pushing an empty stroller

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about baby carreir rucksacks?’ is closed to new replies.