Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • talk to me about Android phones.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve had a Nokia Lumia 930 for a couple of yrs & really got on with it. I also bought myself a Microsoft Band 2 health tracker thingy to run with it.
    Fast forward 18 months & Microsoft have dumped support for these items, rendering them effectively dead & my Band died this week.
    So, I’m looking at the Samsung Gear Fit 2 & need an Android phone to pair with it.
    I had a HTC Wildfire that I hated, so I’ve no knowledge of current models.
    Simply put, I want something with as good a camera as the 930, a HD screen & good useability. Doesn’t have to be latest models either.

Cougar
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Budget is flexible, but will probably be aiming at older models/2nd unless there are some amazing offers!

transporter13
    Free Member

One plus 3
    Just works

cp

In the grand scheme,the 930 is crap and many cameras on other phones far better these days.

That thread from yesterday is a useful starting point. The wildfire you had previously is low end HTC, and not at all representative of modern phones. That said, HTC do skin theirs with a custom interface which I don’t like. Samsung are similar. The basic android interface is really good and ‘just works’.

What’s your budget?

cp

If going second hand, one plus 3 or op 3t, excellent phones – typing this on one.

Very well made – solid with no creaks or flex at all. Extremely fast, battery last ages and is very fast to charge with dash charge.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Budget? Tbh I’m not sure. The Gear Fit is £180 so the cost is going to hurt either way.
    I’ve just read that thread, I’ve no knowledge of any of those phones as it’s a good while since the HTC turned me off Android.
    I like many things about my Nokia phone but it’s a dead OS so I need to look at Android.

nickc

One plus 3
    Just works

yep. great phones

muddydwarf
    Free Member

One plus 3? Never heard of them tbh.
    If it helps I will be buying the phone without contract as I’ve a sim-only deal with EE that gives me unlimited calls & texts plus 20gb data for £18 so no need for a new contract.

malumb
    Free Member

I’ve stuck with the Motorola Moto G range for years. Best value for money, especially if you buy one with decent amount t of space, so it doesn’t slow down after a few updates. Currently using the Moto G4 plus and think it’s superb. I think a new one will certainly out soon so the price will drop.

I’ve always found the Trusted Reviews website to be spot on for this kind of thing, go have a look at the options on there.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cheers folks, those one plus 3 phones look good but they’ve stopped making them so may be difficult to find?
    Just back off hols so a little loathe to drop another lump of cash!

schmiken

One Plus 3T or the new One Plus 5. Great phones for not much money.

Giallograle

I got the Xioami Mi-5s instead of the OnePlus Three. Spec is similar, but the Xioami cost me around £175 new. Maybe more now.

It replaced a OnePlus One which died, and I prefer it to my Samsung S7.

Russell96

I’ve had a OnePlus3T since it came out, apart from the v/decent hardware specs for your money, they supply an almost plain version of Android free of any crapware and unlike a lot of vendors have pushed out lots of regular updates to the point I’m on 7.1.1 now. Oh and the Dash charge is bloody amazing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Another Xioami Mi5s user here, a lot of phone for the money ~£190.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Another question. Looking at various phones I’m seeing different priced models based on the RAM capacity plus the storage capacity – do i need a larger RAM if I’m not playing games? (I don’t do phone games)

Giallograle

Neither do I; I find 64Gb is enough for me; I’m using 19Gb including 8Gb of apps.

Currently I’m using about 1.5Gb of a 3Gb System partition (aka RAM), so that’s likely to run out faster than the storage. If I’d had the option for a bigger RAM at a reasonable price I would have probably taken it.

Cougar

(aka RAM)

Er, no.

Kryton57

Just bought a Moto G5 from Amazon at £165 unlocked, 3gb ram, 16gb mem, dual sim.

There is a Plus and S versions being launched soon but as in my own “Android” thread I wanted a merely capable second phone at not much money to experiement movingbfrom Apple. Plusnet had a 5GB data, unl calls unl texts for £10 sim on money saving expert somthats going in it.

The total cost of phone, 1 year of a 30 day rolling contract, 2 cases and a 64gb card is less than i’d pay for a oneplus 3t or iphone SE handset alone.

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

….I wanted a merely capable second phone at not much money to experiement movingbfrom Apple

I’m sure you will, but just remember as part of this ‘moving from Apple’ experiment that you have bought a budget phone.
    Quite often people seem to moan about Android handsets and how much better the Apple equivalents are, while forgetting that they’ve spent perhaps 3 or 4 times less on an Android handset, than they would have done for an Apple one.

Just something to bear in mind.

johnnystorm

Look on ebay for a gearfit2. They were bundling them with S7s so there are loads on ebay for 90-100 quid brand new and unopened.

Fwiw the Samsung skin on Android is much reduced of late and isn’t the handicap it used to be. I’m very happy with my S7 edge and it’s lived up to it’s waterproof claims while out riding, etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nokia 6 (Android)? Just out, around £200 sim free. Specs are average / budget and can get more for less, though it’s a nice metal case build and in theory HMD with their ex-Nokia team are concentrating on build quality. Also it’s raw Android 7, not mucked about with and plenty of updates. There’s a 64gb model but it’s not available in UK at the moment.

The Nokia 3 is £130, but sounds like pretty low spec.

Though I’m waiting for the 8 myself, due out soon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about Android phones.’ is closed to new replies.