Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Talk to me about a Gamin Edge 200
  • specializedneeds

Good alternative to a (wireless) computer? Ability to record a new route, to retrace at a later date, would a real bonus for me. Singletrack review said it would give simple warnings or arrows to help keep you on a loaded route. That’s probably enough for me to retrace new routes I’ve been shown. Not so clear what it can do from the Garmin site, or at least I don’t understand! Thank you.

TiRed

It’s great. Records a route. Can then save the trail and reuse as a breadcrumb trail. Also does return to start. And a virtual partner (mine’s always fast!) Upload to Garmin and look at stats. The course download is probably more useful on the road, where I’ve followed up to 60 miles without any issue. Not used it off road.

If you don’t need HR/cadence, then it’s a superb computer. I’m upgrading to the 500 for the extra features, but the 200 has already been bagged by my son!

Speshpaul

great bit of kit really, plan a route on line, load it up, follow the route, down load your details.
    what you don’t get is mapping on the unit itself, so you can’t map a rout on the fly. i’ve been pleased with mine, and once i started emailling the days riding to my mates thy started buying the.
    check around for offers, a facelifted version is due out, garmin were doing £30 cash back and halfords had a deal (+10% off with british cycling) also sports pursuit have had some offers on higher spec models

zilog6128

Excellent budget GPS unit & a great alternative to a traditional cycle computer. Extremely reliable, not let me down yet! Seems to crop up at a discount quite often (presumably because it’s getting on a bit now). Great for road, possibly slightly less good off road though due to the low sampling resolution.

specializedneeds

That’s great, thanks everyone.

pistola
    Free Member

Yep, great alternative to a bike computer, particularly if you want to swap between bikes – no adjustments required 🙂

PrinceJohn

I’ve got one – it’s great. Use it to track every ride without worrying about killing my phone battery.

On my mtb it sits on the camelbak most of the time, I plotted a route on viewranger & then followed it, it worked perfectly.

Trekster

Use mine offroad carried in shorts pocket with few issues, just tho odd blank
    Can upload to endemondo or strava instead of garmin connect if you so wish

IanW
    Free Member

I was really pleased with mine, the course feature is very motivational (not letting that fat ******* beat me) but when used tonight for a run and it seemed quite inaccurate compared to my phone.

May have been a one off or running with it in my hand, certainly for the bike its great.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Been very pleased with mine – felt great removing all the wired mounts for the bike computers and sticking the dead simple Garmin ones on. I bought it mainly for Strava recording, but find it to be a very capable computer too. Very easy to interface with Mac, I like the ease of use of the unit itself, the backlight is good and battery life superb. Highly rated!

acsevens

If you’re interested I have one I bought at the weekend on a whim (unexpectedly got a load of free vouchers through bike2work scheme) and am not actually that fussed about using. Email in profile 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about a Gamin Edge 200’ is closed to new replies.