Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Talk to me about 2×10 – new xt content!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi folks im basically at the moment only ever using middle ring on a 3×9 setup with 34t rear sprocket….

i run middle ring even on the steepest of peaks of climbs (willy waving waheey) and havent used granny for as long as i remember…i also only ever use the outer ring for descending on road (linking routes together)…

so my question is, if i go 2×10 on the new xt stuff, what else will i need? is it easy enough to do on a five frame? or will there be issues with clearance of swingarm etc?

also the 2×10 is offered in 38x26t or 40x28t and id run the 36t rear sprocket….which would best for peaks use out of the two options?

im guessing this gearing will be alot more suited to me, as its using higher gears which im currently doing….

any help and suggestions really appreciated, im saving up already for it 😆

would i have to get the whole shebang, new chain, front mech, shifters, rear mech etc?

or could i until affording it properly, run it 2×9 and just buy the chainset and use it first off?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

come on you knowledgeable folks!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The double XT chainset is more narrow than a triple. Looking at the tech book for frame builders using Shimano components the distance between the centre of the bottom bracket axle to the inside of the crank arm is 66mm compared to 69mm on a triple.

ziggy
    Free Member

I’d go 26/38 with a 34T out back, but then I am more of an XC rider, don’t like the large gaps in 11-36 cassettes.

Clearence should be fine on the orange, you get the BB spcers to adjust the chainline anyhow.

You know these chainsets aren’t available until Aug?

mrblobby
    Free Member

August?!?!! I’d heard early June.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Delivery is currently the end of July so that will be August in reality.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers ziggy – i have one spacer drive side at the mo on the 3×9, would it require more then drive side?

yeah i know its august time, gives me plenty of time to save up 😆

i was gonna get a groupset from germany for xt 3×10, but the new chainset is well nice and id prefer to go 2×10!

njee20
    Free Member

If you basically only ever use the middle ring then I’d think carefully about whether a 2×10 will actually give you what you want.

You’ll lose the 32 that seems to suit you, and gain one bigger and one smaller, so you may actually find yourself having to shift more often. Personally I ended up finding myself in the outer (of a 42/28 XX) about 95% of the time, but always at the top of the block, maybe once or twice a ride I’d drop down, and have to shift the whole cassette.

I’d be more inclined to try a 1×10, with a 34 or 36t and an 11-36. That will give you a slightly wider spread that your middle ring and save a chunk of weight. I’ve gone to a 36t and find it spot on.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’m on a 28/42 XO chainset with a 11-34 on the back and find that I’m in big ring most of teh time – the chainline on the double is far friendlier to the big/big combo with a long cage mech and I do find myself in that gear on teh steep climbs, if I know it’s a longer climb then I’ll take it down to the 28T innner and move up the block somewhat – it does make climbing gear changes more reliable as you’re already in the ring you need and it’s just the rear changes required.
    Like yourself, I never seemd to use the granny ring on the triple.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh cheers njee! legendary advice as always!

hmmmm so what would i need to do/buy to convert current 3×9 setup to said 1×10? i can always give it a shot and it will be cheaper than buying the whole lot for xt 2012 2×10

so if im using the middle ring throughout all my peaks rides climbs etc then you reckon that a 34 front and 36 rear would be the ideal solution? im pretty fit at climbing, as i said i never drop into granny ring for anything even at the end of huge rides when im struggling?

cheers gain for the help!

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’re aware of this but if you have a five the largest middle ring you can have is a 36, that’s if you have a granny ring as well (im not sure how the new 2×10 chainset works out though)

njee20
    Free Member

34/36 is as near as damn it the same as 32/34, so you’ll have exactly the same bottom gear as in your middle ring. Your top gear will be slightly higher than your current 32/11, you’ll effectively lose your 2 top gears from the big ring.

You’ll need a new LH shifter, cassette, chain and rear mech. If you’re using a single ring you just want a simple unramped chain ring which you can use on your existing cranks in the middle ring position, so it is far cheaper.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the info njee, ppreciated, sounds like i may just give it a shot then….

if not ill wait and see what the chances of the 2012 xt double will be like on a five, if possible and the likes…

by the time the stuff comes out my current transmission will be nearing death, so it could be good timing 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think njee means you need a new RH shifter, i.e. the rear one? Either way he’s right, you’re crying out for a 1×10 set up.

When you’ve been using the bigger ring for the road, were you ever bothered about spinning out or were you just cruising?

If cruising is fine, then my advice would be to go 32t front and 11-36 rear. That way you’d have one extra low ratio in reserve for when things get really tough up hill.

If you’re worried about spinning out on the road, then definitely go with a 34t or even 36t front. I absolutely guarantee you won’t be spinning out on a 32t front off road in the Peak unless you’re seriously (and I really do mean seriously) quick downhill.

You can use your existing front ring if it’s only in a 1×10 set up, but you will definitely need a chain guide of some sort. You can easily run one of the e13 or MRP single top guide devices, but the MRP ones are pretty crap compared to the e13 one. There’s no set up in the world that will stop your chain coming off of a rocky DH in the Peak unless you’re really mincing around!

njee20
    Free Member

I think njee means you need a new RH shifter, i.e. the rear one? Either way he’s right, you’re crying out for a 1×10 set up.

😳
    Correct

The Superstar chain guide seems good as an aside, and far cheaper than the E13/MRP.

mrblobby
    Free Member

njee20 is indeed correct.

Found a similar issue with 2×10 for trail riding in that I always seem to be in those crossover gears, with the big ring being just a little too big, and the little ring, way too small. Could go for different sized rings on the double but suspect 1×10 is what I really need.

Dave
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’re aware of this but if you have a five the largest middle ring you can have is a 36, that’s if you have a granny ring as well (im not sure how the new 2×10 chainset works out though)

Sim’s running a 2×10 on his longtermer and it’s okay.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dave, in the write up it also says (Shimano XTR race variations don’t fit), Race being the double version. Maybe Sim can let us know why? It may mean that the XT Race double won’t fit either.

njee20
    Free Member

Narrower q-factor than the SRAM ones, so I’d guess at crank clearance.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is what I am trying to ascertain Nick. The XT has the same clearance as the XTR so it is looking like the answer to the OP may be you can’t fit the XT double on an Orange 5.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah its not looking great that is it 🙁 shame really as if the 1×10 doesnt work out then ill be stuck with 3×9 3×10 🙁

or go to sram by the sounds of it and probably pay treble if not more!

njee20
    Free Member

If the cranks clear you may be able to play around with spacing and convert a triple. Potentially a bodge though. X.7 isn’t that expensive though IIRC.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ill have a look into do x9 do a full 2×10 group too? guessing the equivalent of xt?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about 2×10 – new xt content!’ is closed to new replies.