• This topic has 65 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Talk Talk Hacked Again……
  • mrchrispy

i hear TalkTalk IT operations are a bit of a nightmare to work for, I’ve been approached a couple of times about roles but they have a bit of a bad rep.

“Hey we run a can attitude fast paced environment”
    aka
    “The guys are over worked/under funded and constantly forced to release shit that clearly isnt production ready”

As long as guys responsible for driving things into the ground get a decent bonus and are able to move on a gut another company its okay I suppose, its the suckers left holding the can that have to clean up the shitstorm.

konabunny
    Free Member

Some reports that’s it’s a Islamic Cyber Jihadi attack emanating from the Soviet Union. Seem to be related to the website publishing supposed customer details

Blimey – an attack across time and space!

project
    Free Member

2 weeks ago lost all internet, numerous calls to a o847 number and pressing numours keys on the instructions of a recorded voice or saying what i wanted got through to people who cant understand english and apologise and say they will help sadly their idea of help is not any related idea of help i could understand, like throwing a heavy weight to a drowning man.

Eventually they agreed to send out a new router, and all worked well but still getting calls asking if i want to close my complaint which i dont till i get some sence out them, and now the hack, they dont know, yet 2 weks ago they said there was a major outage of their system and it would last 48 hours, next day they denied it.

They are also refusing people to break their contracts according to their website as their share plunge, they dont answer the phones,and a chap on a bike forum tells us more than their boss tells us customers.

mrchrispy

IANAL but…..surely they’ve already broke the contract by failing to follow quite clear database protection policies.

drlex
    Free Member

SQL injection vulnerability & sensitive data stored in plain text in 2015? It defies understanding!

ourmaninthenorth

Not much more I can publicly update on (I’m not an operational or tech person and of course there’s a criminal investigation happening right now) but suffice to say there is a huge amount of work going on assessing the detailed extent of the attack and what data was actually accessed.

For those who are former customers that assessment will also relate to any retained data that may have been included. If you are a victim of the attack the plan is to contact you as well as current customers.

Our comms teams are working 24/7 over the weekend to keep our customers updated.

I was working out of one of our North West offices yesterday and today. To say the mood is sombre amongst every member of staff there (a few hundred people) – even those who aren’t directly engaged – is an understatement. I’ve been to happier funerals.

We’re the first to admit TalkTalk is an imperfect company but doing the right thing for customers is at the heart of everything we try to do. That’s what’s so heartbreaking about this.

iffoverload
    Free Member

all ISP are a bunch of money grabbing bastards. they do not do it for fun.

garlic
    Free Member

Talk Talk are an ‘added value’ reseller. Best avoided anyway, despite the hacking.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If this fotum allowed swearing then I would wonder what the bloody hell are you still doing with talkshinetalk.

Remember tiscali was it who they took over from they werent much cop neither.

Honestly do the right thing and go to BT.

What the hell were you thinking as sure youve done similar threads bout talktalk net connection issues int past.

mrchrispy

must doff my cap at OMITN.
    not sure what you do for them fella but you are personally smelling of win.
    the company still sucks btw 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Bet all those details are already for sale on a Russian darknet fraud site.

In Russia the government/security services turn a blind eye to even large-scale fraud & hacking as long as it’s directed at foreign organisations.

Sandwich

Meanwhile the IoD shows it doesn’t “get” internet or system security

Meanwhile, business leaders called for urgent action to tackle cyber-crime. The Institute of Directors said only “serious breaches” made the headlines, but attacks on British businesses “happen constantly”. Sauce

Take responsibility for your own systems and spend the necessary cash to secure them. It isn’t “somebody else’s problem’ it’s yours. Reduce the opportunity for someone to break in and let the less secure take the risk.

the-muffin-man

Well I’ve not had a single email from TalkTalk yet.

And I tried calling their, not UK based, help line to see if they held my debit card details on file* and ‘Julie’ on the other end couldn’t even understand the difference between Direct Debit details and Debit Card details. Shocking service, and another customer lost.

(*I know they have DD details, I’m 99% sure my debit card isn’t associated with the account but can’t check).

phiiiiil

Honestly do the right thing and go to BT

It doesn’t take much looking to find people cussing and blinding over BT too. Just like energy suppliers, it’s almost entirely the luck of the draw whether you have a faultless or terrible experience.

Until last weekend (!) we had been with TalkTalk for years with no problems whatsoever despite moving house repeatedly. We only changed because they added telly service which we didn’t want “for free”, then put the price up…

Rio

Well I’ve not had a single email from TalkTalk yet.

I got mine – it was sent yesterday. But Talktalk/AOL email classified it as spam, so I didn’t actually find it in the spam email folder until today 🙄 .

Drac

Anyone who hasn’t had the email this may help.

Details here.

birky
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34643783

‘Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland over TalkTalk hack’

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We’re the first to admit TalkTalk is an imperfect company but doing the right thing for customers is at the heart of everything we try to do.

Really? Not in my experience, the Indian call centre has to be THE WORST call centre I have ever had the displeasure of speaking to. TalkTalk mistakenly had two accounts running for me when there should have been only one. I called and spoke to the Indian call centre several times over a period of three or four months, every time I was told they would cancel the surplus account, every time this wasn’t done. This was particularly annoying as TalkTalks accounts section threatened me with a debt recovery agency if I didn’t pay up for this service I never ordered. It was only when we eventually got through to the loyalty department in the UK it finally got sorted (but it took them two separate attempts).
    An absolute shambles top to bottom, the wifi speed isn’t particularly quick or reliable.
    Now we see that the hacker could well have been a 15 year old boy! Well done TalkTalk, it seems you have nothing but contempt for your customers from your incompitent call centres through to your inadiquate care of our bank details.

Well done, as soon as I can I’m out!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

OMITN has done more for TT’s reputation than the top boss interviewed on R4 recently.

CHB

With regard to Talk Talk taking a hard line with customers who wish to cancel their service with them, surely the consumer rights act covers their desire to cancel if they are dissatisfied?
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Anyone care to argue that Talk Talk have provided their service with reasonable care and attention? Or that their exit fees don’t represent unfair contract terms?

the-muffin-man

ourmaninthenorth…

Any idea when TalkTalk are going to get their MyAccount back on line? I can’t muster up the energy or willpower to spend any time on the phone with them!

Ta!

footflaps

Meanwhile the IoD shows it doesn’t “get” internet or system security

More worryingly, TM’s new legislation may end up outlawing string encryption in the UK, which will be a huge benefit to organised crime wishing to hack systems but do nothing to stop criminals using strong encryption (which you can download for free from international sites and use illegally in the UK)….

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/09/tech-firms-snoopers-charter-end-strong-encryption-britain-ip-bill

Completely insane, but that’s the Tories for you…..

konabunny
    Free Member

‘Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland over TalkTalk hack’

“The good news is that we haven’t been hacked by Russian cyber jihadistsTM…”

ourmaninthenorth

ourmaninthenorth…

Any idea when TalkTalk are going to get their MyAccount back on line? I can’t muster up the energy or willpower to spend any time on the phone with them!

Ta!

Hi – sorry, only just seen this. We got it back up yesterday – a significant number of people worked around three days without sleep to get it back up. We’re working on getting all the funcitonality back as soon as possible, but doing all the penetration (etc.) testing we need to do across every component to make sure its’s secure does take time.

Apologies for going quiet on this thread – I took the view that I shouldn’t have been another channel of communication when our comms teams were in charge of that. Also, given that I am privy to (share) price sensitive information I didn’t fancy going to prison for Market Abuse..!

the-muffin-man

Cheers ourmaninthenorth – sounds like you are doing some good work and need a crate of Red Bull to keep you going! You should have the most secure system of them all after this.

Still can’t see MyAccount login though, just see a holding page asking people to call or live-chat.

…and as you are privy to inside info, would you know if I customers can wangle a free fibre upgrade! 😀

grum
    Free Member

The good news is that we haven’t been hacked by Russian cyber jihadistsTM

But jambalaya is normally right about everything – especially when it comes to blaming Muslims for things. Weird.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Talk Talk Hacked Again……’ is closed to new replies.