Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Talk Talk for home phone – Cheaper than BT, but what's the catch?
  • willard

Got a call from Talk Talk last night offering a home phone deal that is way cheaper than BT are currently giving me.

The offer sounds too good to be true, with a lot of free calls to UK and US landlines and mobiles, BT-style feature packs, cheap contract cancellation and so on. But, given that a deal too good to be true usually is, I thought I would ask STW for their opinions of Talk Talk, their service and the downsides of what could chop my phone bill in half.

So, does anyone have any opinions on them?

Liftman

They are a friggin nightmare to deal with and their service is rubbish.

Pigface
    Free Member

The most useless bunch of crude word for female genitalia I have ever tried to do business with.

fbk
    Free Member

The catch is they’re Talk Talk, owned by the Carphone Warehouse.

I’ve yet to deal with a worse company as regards customer care. Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

ton

2 years with no problems here.
    and no catch.

wors

what ton says. Never had any problems.

willard

Well, 18 month contract for the home phone, with a small fee per month remaining to get out of it. In a quarter I should have saved enough to buy myself out of it.

And come to think of it, I’ve never had to call BT for customer service, but I’m just worried about them fscking up the change-over and leaving me sans broadband and phone over Christmas.

Other than rubbish customer service, has anyone had any problems with the line, setup or service at the phone?

Hohum
    Free Member

Been with them for 18 months for broadband and phone and not had any problems with them, switchover from prior providers was hassle-free as well.

beagle
    Free Member

I signed up in October yet still no connection. This despite them billing me £100 which didn’t include half price connection fee as promised by them. Also promised was the first bill coming thru 30 days after connection.

Hung up on 4 times whilst speaking to customer services, spent circa 4.5 hours on my mobile (go their premium number)to try and sort it out. Last promise of a call within 3 days is now over a week ago. Need to call them shortly to chase them and I’ll no doubt be on the phone again for ages. I’m dreading speaking to them as I know I’ll get no where and more broken promises from some poor underpaid Herbert in India.

Avoid like the plague IMO.

Beagle (no phone or broadband and attached to my iPhone)

gazc
    Free Member

currently charging us for two accounts, customer service is absolutely shocking and they just bounce you around the globe and never do what they say they will (still getting charged for the duplicate account and have bailiffs threatened on it – we NEVER set it up or had anything to do with it!) can’t wait to change but leaving them is turning out to be just as much of a nightmare

can anyone recommend a different broadband supplier was thinking of plusnet?

PaulMc
    Free Member

They disconnected my mother in law’s phone line several weeks ago despite her phoning immediately in response to their ‘line transfer request’ letter. Hours spent on the phone to Customer Services and even contacting their Chief Executive direct have generated nothing other than platitudes. They then did the same thing with her broadband line after we complained about the landline.

Truly apalling customer service. I would not touch them with a bargepole.

santac
    Free Member

No problems here

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, I was quite happy with them until 2 months ago when i decided to move home. Was told outright that I would lose my number (even though I was moving less than 200m as the crow flies). Its turns out that they can do it, but choose not to offer it. I suspect its mainly so they can dispense with using a BT number and give you one of their own instead (meaning they dont have to pay BT for the number). Also they LLU the line, meaning its very difficult to move the line to another supplier.
    I ended doing it myself through work (I work for a telecoms reseller).
    If I was you I’d look at going to O2 (£5 off if you have a mobile with them), PlusNet (owned by BT) or Sky, as none of these LLU the line, so you can move away without too much grief if it doesnt work out.

bedmaker

Avoid like the plague

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

My fathers with them. Loses the service for weeks at a time – customer service is terrible. Indeed, he can’t wait to go back to BT, who whilst more expensive, actually provided a service that worked, and if someting went wrong, got fixed in hours rather than months.

Shocking shower of shyte. Indeed at this time, he recokons they actually owe him money for providing the service, due to them having to offer him compensation for when they get stuff wrong.

I’d avoid. Somethings like net/phone are too essential to be left to clowns.

beagle
    Free Member

Just got off the phone to them and cancelled the service. Won’t enter in to refunding me my first bill of £100.27p until line is fully disconnected as I may incur further charges – ie use phone/Internet. Bit difficult seeing as I have never had a dialling tone or been able to use broadband since signing up in October.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s the same as being robbed in the street. If anyone has a head office number, be much appreciated if they could drop me a line. Ta.

loamy23 AT hotmail DOT com

sheeps

Awful customer service, and no technical staff to sort out problems when they occur

Brooker99
    Free Member

We moved from talk talk to more expensive BT following appalling customer service.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

after apalling customer service from CPW i wouldnt touch with someone else’s bargepole!!

br
    Free Member

I get those and other companies ringing up too, telling me how I’ll save loads.

Our home phone bill with BT is less than £20 a month; so loads = less than £2 a month…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve been with them over a year.

Had one problem where the broadband went slow, rang them up and was quite surprised by helpful they were! Directed me to some speed measuring website and broadband was fixed an hour later.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had years of problems with talktalk, over broadband admittedly. awful company to deal with when you have a problem.

have a look at plusnet, i’ve found them very good.

toys19
    Free Member

In my humble experience all UK service providers, phone, internet, utilities, banks are crap at customer service. I’ve had talk talk for 3 years and counting, no problems.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1

They are a friggin nightmare to deal with and their service is rubbish.

We couldn’t wait to get rid of them. No router arrived in the first place and so I phoned, they sent one, it never arrived, I phoned, they sent one, it never arrived… This went on until I should have had 4 router things.

One did turn up. No internet connection. So slow it was quicker and more predictable to use dial up.

we sacked them off after 4 months. I tied to claim back my internet dial up calls because their service was so shocking.

They tole me to F off basically. also, their free calls weren’t free it appeared form our phone bill. We felt truly ripped off by them and we won’t to this day step foot in a carphone warehouse shop.

All they did was talk talk a lot.

DON’T DO IT>>>>

now with sky and they’ve been reliable and great.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Beagle, you have mail.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m going only with Tiscali, who are now part of TT. While the phone provision was fine, Broadband was a royal PITA, slow as hell and intermittent. Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole, not just for that, but for the endless complaints I had to make just to speak to someone who wasn’t scripted and completely incapable of fixing anything. I escalated the problem and received cash back but the problem continued, I escalated it again and again and got nowhere. I got told they’d tried to call back while sitting next to the phone they should have called back on, where it rang for one ring then cut off before I could answer, then they got shirty saying they tried to call but I never answered. In 1 ring.

I wouldn’t bother. BT are notably easier to deal with and the service is constant, syncing at 8192 (whereas Tiscali had me sync’d at 3200) and throughputting 600Kb/s in quieter periods.

R.lepecha

Basically there shit.

ftr1873
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a different broadband supplier was thinking of plusnet?

Been with Plusnet for ages, not the absolute cheapest but are good if you need to phone them. My router broke last new year’s day, got through to them and had one as soon as the posties were back. Apart from that, I’ve never had to phone them, which I like.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I fell for their sales pitch, agreed to swap over broadband and landline.

Was told there would be no loss of service whatsoever… A week later I had three days of no broadband. Had numerous phone calls which was an awesome display of ineptitude so I actually cancelled the whole order and went back to BT and my old broadband.

Utter dimwits.

unovolo
    Free Member

Go to the Following SAY NO TO 0870

Type in “Talk Talk” and click search,it comes up with loads of alternative numbers including 0800(freephone) and the London HQ phone number.

I work for Sky and get loads of complaints from customers about them,we also have endless issues with there phonelines messing up Sky boxes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Talk Talk for home phone – Cheaper than BT, but what's the catch?’ is closed to new replies.