Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Talk me through an oil change on a fox F120 fork
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

I want to clean and change the oil in the lowers of my F120s rather than lift the seals.
    What oil do i need and in what quantities in each leg?

Don't link to the fox tech site as it is doing my head in! I want real experience instructions please.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Just send them off for a service, that way you get it done properly and you get to keep your warranty intact 😉

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

This is for non FIT carts, ie open dampers.

1)Make sure fork is clean. Undo two bottom bolts half way with allen key (remove any adjusters first).
    2)Tap with soft mallet to release carts from lowers (keep forks upside down)
    3)Pull lowers halfway off. Turn right way and let oil drain into oil pan.
    4)Remove lowers, clean with rag. Remove seals gently (remove spring ring round seal first). Clean foam rings and seals. Soak foam rings in thick oil (float fluid or eqiv).
    5)Foam rings in, seals in, spring ring on. Wipe a little float fluid on inside of seals/top bush.
    6)Put uppers back into lowers. Careful to get both seals in at same time. Engage top bush only.
    7)Turn fork upside down. Using syringe add oil into holes in lowers. F120s get 160ml in damper leg, 10/7wt depending on year/model. Just use 10wt unless you're super light. All F120s get 30ml 10wt in spring leg. Fox 10wt oil is Silkolene – Pro RSF 10WT. See HERE.
    8)Push lowers fully onto uppers. Put the foot bolt back in (damper side first, its easier. Careful not to push the damper cart too far down whist doing this).
    9)Wipe outside of forks to make sure no excess oil can attract dirt.

😀

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Just send them off for a service, that way you get it done properly and you get to keep your warranty intact

How can something thats recommended by the manufacturer as part of routine maintenance void the warranty? I think not! 😉

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

stuartanicholson – Member

This is for non FIT carts, ie open dampers.

1)Make sure fork is clean. Undo two bottom bolts half way with allen key (remove any adjusters first).
    2)Tap with soft mallet to release carts from lowers (keep forks upside down)
    3)Pull lowers halfway off. Turn right way and let oil drain into oil pan.
    4)Remove lowers, clean with rag. Remove seals gently (remove spring ring round seal first). Clean foam rings and seals. Soak foam rings in thick oil (float fluid or eqiv).
    5)Foam rings in, seals in, spring ring on. Wipe a little float fluid on inside of seals/top bush.
    6)Put uppers back into lowers. Careful to get both seals in at same time. Engage top bush only.
    7)Turn fork upside down. Using syringe add oil into holes in lowers. F120s get 160ml in damper leg, 10/7wt depending on year/model. Just use 10wt unless you're super light. All F120s get 30ml 10wt in spring leg. Fox 10wt oil is Silkolene – Pro RSF 10WT. See HERE.
    8)Push lowers fully onto uppers. Put the foot bolt back in (damper side first, its easier. Careful not to push the damper cart too far down whist doing this).
    9)Wipe outside of forks to make sure no excess oil can attract dirt.

brilliant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Talk me through an oil change on a fox F120 fork’ is closed to new replies.