Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • talk me out of buying one of these…
  • davidrussell
    Free Member

http://bit.ly/8pARtS

I have a penchant for taking "notions" on things. Its like target fixation of the consumerist variety.

talk to me about how good / bad this next fix would be.

allthepies
    Free Member

You will spend weeks crashing it and spending ££ on repairs. Then in about June time you'll get bored of it and put it in the loft never to be seen again.

That help ?

Dudie
    Free Member

If you really must buy kids' toys, Lego is far more entertaining and you won't get bored of it after 5 minutes

aracer
    Free Member

That's not a kids toy. It's also a co-ax, which means it's not a total nightmare to fly – provided you take it carefully it's possible not to crash it at all (I've hardly crashed my co-ax, and when I have it's mostly because I've been being silly and pushing it).

The only real question being whether that's actually going to do what you want. Whatever they might say, it's actually a little on the large side for indoor flight – you'll be able to hover it around slowly, but not much more than that. Meanwhile being a co-ax means it's only really suitable for flying outside on a totally windless day. You may well be better off with something a bit smaller, like this – or even one of the toy helicopters to start off with to see if it really interests you (I'm guessing if you're asking that you haven't already got one of those).

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Commanches are sooooo gay, like, really. If you buy one of these all the guys at the 'copter club will like, totally blank you.

Buy a model RC submarine instead. Way more fun.

uplink
    Free Member

£70 for a toy helicopter?? – grow up 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

£1000+ for a bicycle??

john_drummer
    Free Member

FWIW I bought a small fixed-pitch non-coax heli as my first one. Too big for in the house, too small for outdoors. so I bought another, then another…

I now have a fleet of 5, from a Blade MCx which is small enough for in the house, up to a .30 nitro jobbie for outdoors:

flip
    Free Member

My 7yr old son has one and flys it fine, my Dad taught him cus he's a r/c plane nut.

I can fly so so, it'll be fine get one 😉

showerman
    Free Member

john is the cat the pilot

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah 🙂

davidrussell
    Free Member

aracer – thanks for the info. i did wonder about indoors with it as its almost a foot long. will check out the link on the walkera but have heard the name before.

as usual someone got a mini heli for a christmas pressie and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then you realise its only infrared and 2channel etc etc. the costs are scary!

i can't grow up by the way, i'm like peter pan with a thyroid problem.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I got one of these for myself for christmas. I've spent about two hours flying it so far and can just about hover. It's small enough to fly indoors and although the learning curve is much steeper than with a co-ax, it is much more satisfying to feel yourself improving with each flight – some of the co-ax jobbies will hover on their own with no input from the operator.

john_drummer
    Free Member

it'll be ok for indoors. OK you won't be able to do big circuits, but hovering & getting the hang of it will be ok; you could also try finding a local club. http://www.bmfa.org should have a club finder.

Chances are there's a club fairly near to you that hires a church/village hall, or even a sports centre, for one evening a month or so.
    If you're anywhere near Bingley, http://www.10electric.co.uk and http://www.kadmac.org have regular indoor sessions.
    Failing that, try your local model shop

skidartist
    Free Member

Talk you out of it you say?

Ok I'll try

Noel Edmunds owns one (probably)
    The Daily Mail says they cause Ball Cancer
    The remote control transmits your credit cards details to nigerian fraudsters
    Noel Edmunds owns one (probably)

davidrussell
    Free Member

j-d thanks for the advice. would like to do some outdoor stuff i guess but its alwyas the same – i want the best thing possible and that means £££ 🙂

Dudie
    Free Member

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘talk me out of buying one of these…’ is closed to new replies.