Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Talk about milking it for all it's worth….
  • Nick

Just researching the options for watching the TdF this year as it passes through Yorkshire.

Thought I’d look at taking the family along and wondered if there was a campsite nearby.

Well there is, one not far from the Holme Moss climb… http://www.pedalandpitch.co.uk/

£300 to pitch a bloody tent! Ok you can turn up days before, but crikey that is steep, even for a week that’s twice what you would expect to pay for a tent for a week, and it’s what it’s costing us to go to the Green Man Festival this year.

F’ that, think we’ll be bivvying!

ndthornton
    Free Member

To be fair it is Yorkshire – the greatest county in the world. You should feel privileged to lie on our sacred earth.

tomhoward

The Harrogate natives have been complaining that local hotels have put their prices up for that weekend, saying how greedy they are all being. 🙄

gogg
    Free Member

It’s why a great number of folk will, sadly, stay away from such a great sporting spectacle. We seem to have the ability in this country to take the cream and then sprinkle it with so much glitter, hundreds & thousands then stick a flake in it and spoil it.

I guess that’s the problem with a “service-led” economy.

New years eve is another classic example and remember the debacle that was the millenium at the end of the day it was just another day beginning. At least this even is genuinely something special, but they’ll ruin it, they always do.

Shitebags the lot of them.

jameso

F’ that, think we’ll be bivvying!

That was my plan. I can see the complaints in the local papers now, ‘the TDF just brings in all these smelly hobo types, we found some sleeping behind our hedge..’

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

camp further away and ride in?

zbonty

Watch it on telly? They all flash by in seconds anyway. I’ve seen bits of the tour over the years by coincidence.
    What do you actually ‘see’ and for how long?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I guess that’s the problem with a “service-led” economy.

I think the “problem” is more to do with supply and demand and living in a democratic capitalist society.

gogg
    Free Member

I disagree, our service led economy has led to a far greater tendency to kill the golden goose at every opportunity.

johnners
    Free Member

We seem to have the ability in this country to take the cream and then sprinkle it with so much glitter, hundreds and thousands then stick a flake turd in it and spoil it.

Fixed that for you, your version sounded bloody delicious!

gogg
    Free Member

You like to eat glitter??

I bet you have goose down in your tubeless tyres.

edward2000
    Free Member

OP, I can cycle past you albeit not quite as fast but for a tenth of the price if you like?

clanton
    Free Member

Charging extortionate rates for big events is not unique to the UK. We paid well over the odds for a tiny spot in a farmer’s field for the TDF near Ventoux in 2009 – and anyone remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the prices in South Africa for the World Cup?

matt_outandabout

To be fair it is Yorkshire – the greatest county in the world. You should feel privileged to lie on our sacred earth.

Aye lad.

aP
    Free Member

My current experience of Yorkshiremen is that they know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing. Except when it directly benefits them, at which point it becomes the most important thing ever.

thelazycamper
    Free Member

Hi folks. My name is Becki and I work for The Lazy Camper, who are hosting the Pedal and Pitch Campsites. I wanted to respond to the original post and offer some insight as to why the prices may be viewed as high.
    A Farmer contacted us as his land is on the route on the TdF and he wanted to make sure that cycling fans could get the best experience possible. Being located on the Holme Moss Climb is a brilliant area to view the race. Due to road closures travel on the day would be difficult, and the farmer came to us to see if we could transfer our festival camping packages to work for the cycling community. As a local company based in Huddersfield we are really keen to make sure Yorkshire offers the best opportunity to watch the greatest race on earth.
    So why are the prices different in comparison to full time campsites? Well, it’s a one off event in a truly unique environment. In preparation for the event the farmer has already been doing ground works. He’s had to divert a stream to make space for a number of food units. He is liaising with Yorkshire water and ensure we have fresh drinking water on site. We are liaising with a number of companies to ensure we have power, security, first aid and toilets on site. We’ll be providing a camp shop that needs stock transporting and staffing.
    In the weeks leading up to the event we’ll be ensuring the grass is cut, and facilities in place. The farmer is relocating his livestock. The barns will be disinfected and provide secure bike storage and a bar with entertainment. We’ll be fitting temporary showers and looking to install washing machines. After the event we’ll be removing all waste and returning the site in a safe state for livestock to graze.
    The race will pass right by the campsite, on the iconic Holme Moss Switchback. The pre race procession will be passing for about an hour, and they expect the cyclists to come past over a 15-20minute window. When the race isn’t on we’re working with a local cycling club to put on races and games, and offering bike services etc.
    The site is open for 6 nights and we can permit 8 adults per pitch (if the tent is big enough). We are offering an early bird discount of £50. So, for example, if you book a pitch for 4 of your mates, staying in your own tent, and stay for 6 nights, your camping is costing just under £10.50/pppn. If you want to arrive by bike then you can purchase a a tent and camping kit to collecton site. This would work out at just over £20/pppn (& the camping kit is yours to keep if you wish)
    Booking before end of Feb will save you £50 too. Which for such a unique camping opportunity, i don’t think is really all that much.

I hope this goes someway towards explaining our prices. If anyone has further questions or feedback then please feel free to email me becki@thelazycamper.co.uk as we really do want to make the experience the best possible.
    Thanks. Becki.

meehaja
    Free Member

Come to the grand depart, camp in my garden, free eggs and a decent chop shop down the road. Only £150! For £300 I’d probably go and spend a few days in France and watch the finish in Paris, rather than 20 secs of blurred peloton in the inevitable rain!

matt_outandabout

Just wait till you see how much houses round here are renting for the Ryder Cup…If we owned our own house, we would go on family hols for a week on the profit you would make.
    http://www.irvinggeddes.co.uk/rydercup/#/s100p1

br
    Free Member

Good response Becki, hope you more than cover your costs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For £300 I’d probably go and spend a few days in France and watch the finish in Paris,

Thanks, gave me a giggle.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good for you Becki! Good luck with it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Talk about milking it for all it's worth….’ is closed to new replies.