Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • talisker whisky
  • drifting_james
    Free Member

Evening all,

My wife has disappeared for the wd and left me with the children.
    I’ve done a mighty fine job of keeping them entertained and injury free – and as a reward bought myself a bottle of talisker whisky (that was on offer but still pricey).

Now I’m not a whisky aficionado – but i’m guessing im gonna like a tipple. Does anyone have any advice how best to enjoy it – as in add water? (if yes how much), drink neat?

Pointers appreciated

J

skink2020

Start with about 40% water. (unless it’s a cask strength in which case a little more).
    You can fine tune from there.

CountZero

If its regular strength, then straight, but a drop of water is generally recommended for cask strength.
    I had some a couple of weeks ago, 58.8%, bottled in 1982, and I didn’t bother with the water. Damned good it was, too!

fbk
    Free Member

Neat – why spoil it? It’s a nice light taste.

edit – ok, yes, unless its a cask strength one but I’m assuming not…

You surely should know better that to expect one uniform opinion from here 🙂

drifting_james
    Free Member

sorry should have said – regular strength (45.8%)

drifting_james
    Free Member

Whilst highly unlikely on the singletrack forum, I have pre-emptied any differences of opinion I may receive from your good selves…

I have a full bottle. I can try a number of recommendations…

ratherbeintobago

As above, 40% water. Supposedly the proper Highland way of drinking the cratur is alternate sips of water & whisky, but despite having a lot of relatives in Easter Ross I don’t know anyone who does other than putting them in the same glass.

Andy

fbk
    Free Member

Good call. And good night 🙂

skink2020

Whisky(like heroin, apparently) is very moreish.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I don’t put water in mine, but if you do, make sure it’s spring water

mattk
    Free Member

Pour a finger and sniff/sip it neat, roll it round your mouth and make sure it touches every bit of your tounge.

When you’ve finished it pour another finger but add a tea spoon of water and see if the taste/smell has changed. The drop of water will split the oils and either improve or weaken the flavours.

Enjoy

bigG
    Free Member

40% water? Philistine…. 10 – 20 % at most

And never cold water, room temperature

ton

now call me a big girls blouse, but i love whiskey and dry ginger.
    even if it is a good malt. 😳

drifting_james
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have tried most recommendations bar the dry ginger (sorry Ton – for the sake of completeness, I would of tried your recommendation if there was dry ginger in the house..)

I have now raided my wifes stash of fine spring water and actually believe a 10-15% addition of spring water actually takes it to its best. Tried more water – bit weak for me. Neat – enjoyable but a little overpowering.

Genuinely grateful to you all for the advice received.

J

MrOvershoot

Now there is a man who has done his homework & is now enjoying the fruits of his labour, well done old bean.

Not saying that’s how I like my single malt but that’s how he likes his 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Neat – why spoil it? It’s a nice light taste

I’ve been to the Talisker distillery. They recommend adding a small quantity of cool water, about half the quantity of the whisky. And they’re right – it really opens up the flavour.

tyger
    Free Member

An angels tear 🙂

grim168
    Free Member

was told at glenmorangie distillery a teaspoon is enough to open the flavour.

Cougar

Add water literally a drop at a time. You can’t take it out again. A single drop can change the flavour dramatically.

firestarter
    Free Member

40% ???? Are you mad , a drop or two at most , tut tut

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

about 10 to 20% water add a little at a time when you reach a level that you like then thats you’re sweet spot 8)

BoardinBob

3 large ice cubes

The purists will be up in arms about that but stuff them

ransos
    Free Member

Ice completely kills the flavour.

surlynot
    Free Member

What!

The only thing you add to whiskey is MORE whiskey…

Slange Var 😀

athgray
    Free Member

If I was not a whisky drinker I probably wouldn’t start off on Talisker. A little bit of water is good though.

CountZero

Further to my earlier post, I’ve just posted this photo that I took of what I was drinking on the other whisky thread:

Wish it wasn’t 140 miles away, and I could afford a little selection like this one. 😥

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘talisker whisky’ is closed to new replies.