• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tales of Corporate tedium
  • Kryton57

Got a tale worse that this?

6 weeks ago our office was “walled” into two halves as another office was closed and the occupants moved in to ours (same company). Then as they used our coffee a political war started aboiut who was paying for the coffee milk etc. A standoff ensued, within which time we’ve had no coffee / tea etc.

Whats worse is, weekly meetings (6 of) with an arbitrator have been taking place to resolve the situation. Its now agreed that the (bean to cup)coffee machine rent cannot be agreed up on and it will be removed. However, the new people will buy the Nescafe in jars, and we’ll by the milk. To achieve this, we’ve had to agree that each employee in our section will frank and post thier own mail.

OMFG, and one wonders why corporations bleed profitability… *bangs head in depair*

ourmaninthenorth

Properly LOLing at that.

Beats being told at length by a large outsourcing company that they’ll take our money but none of the risk for some highly critical work.

I think they’ve just found all of their contracts under review….

djglover
    Free Member

You work for Wernham Hogg? Cool!

jam-bo

Glad I work for a small company now.

Our hr policy is basically ‘don’t take the piss’

Kryton57

djglover – Member
    You work for Wernham Hogg? Cool!

Its starting to feel that way – next door have a morning “warm up” session – ready cheering, clapping and dancing to bangra at 8.55

*Cries*

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just check this isn’t an metaphor for some global political situation (like grandad’s allotment)?

Kryton57

jam bo – Member
    Glad I work for a small company now.

I was, it got aquired.

I wish I still was.

jam-bo

I met a chap at a conference recently who’d resigned from BAe systems three times. Every company he’d moved to had been swallowed up.

binners

Brilliant!!! Maybe call in….

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Many moons ago I worked in an open plan office and as I was working on a joint project with the guy sat behind me we would frequently have discussions on how the work was going across his desk.

A particularly moody co-worker complained to us both that our talking across the desk was distracting her and would we please stop it. She didn’t seem too pleased when our solution to our apparently noisy cross-desk chats was to ring each other up to discuss things! 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

BAe systems

no small ‘e’ any more – they’re BAE SYSTEMS now, and touchy about it 🙂

ski
    Free Member

LOL

Who owns the fuse box? 😉

Kryton57

ski – Member
    LOL

Who owns the fuse box?

The third party – building management – of course. Those are the people we have to talk to for doing anything to anything structural – ie no blutack for posters, turning the lights on etc….

binners

I worked in a large companies design studio. It had a great creative atmosphere. Radio on really loud, great banter all day. Producing top notch work too. The best in the business.

A management consultant saw it, and decided that seeing as there was such a creative buzz about the place, wouldn’t it be a great idea if the MD and senior management moved into the studio with us to pick up on the ‘creative vibe’ 😯

They actually did it too!!!! Guess how long the vibrant creative atmosphere lasted? By lunchtime on the first day we’d been told to turn all the music off, and could we stop all the chatting, as it was distracting the management. By the end of the first day, the place was like a morgue. Within the next month or so, pretty much everyone had left as the working environment was now absolutely insufferable

Well done! That worked well!

mrchrispy

Nice to see Morgan Freeman has moved into business trouble shooting.
    I always liked him!

bigG
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Properly LOLing at that.
    Beats being told at length by a large outsourcing company that they’ll take our money but none of the risk for some highly critical work.
    I think they’ve just found all of their contracts under review….
    POSTED 50 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You need to examine your commercial models then, partnership shares risk as well as benefit. Outsourcing isnt the same as right sourcing..

ourmaninthenorth

You need to examine your commercial models then, partnership shares risk as well as benefit. Outsourcing isnt the same as right sourcing..

That’s why that “partner” has been sacked and a new one’s coming in to f— it up for a while.

Meantime, I’m busy writing in as many SLA based exits as I can shoehorn in. The joys of working for schizophrenics who want to terminate every 5 minutes….

Ewan
    Free Member

right sourcing

I am an management consultant and even I wouldn’t say that!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tales of Corporate tedium’ is closed to new replies.