Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • tale of woe
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i wish I’d packed the kitchen table with me for todays ride, as that were I realised I had left the chain tool when my chain snapped 10km from home, whilst in the pouring rain. On a rare day off work.

i had taken my chain off the previous day to clean it and i rejoined it with a kmc power link thing. The chain snapped at a completely different link… is this coincidence? . I’d soaked it in white spirits for a few hours. XTR ten speed.

Broken chain meant i got to try some runs chainless. Really mad feeling the difference . wouldn’t do it again though i looked like a right ****t scooting home

z1ppy

is this coincidence?

Nope just bad luck.. many years ago 1st major breakdown was a chain snapping, I had to walk 3hrs to get back to the car, I never leave home (on the bike) without a multi-tool & chain link now (& the kitchen sink)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Use two quicklinks when joining… then you can fix your chain at the expense of some gears

theotherjonv

Use two quicklinks when joining… then you can fix your chain at the expense of some gears

In the case of the above, how? It broke at a normal link, so you’d have to remove the whole of the section of chain with the break in. Fine if you’ve got your powerlinks a few links apart and the breaks in the short bit, but if you break the long bit then you’re still screwed.

Having a spare powerlink, whether in your pack, taped to a seatpost, or as part of the chain is undoubtedly a good idea, but you still need a chaintool as well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

not sure i’m with you on the two quick links thing…?

Yeah it was so stupid, in a rush to get out the house before the rain started. clean forgot it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ViF6JRNjTk[/video]

joshvegas
    Free Member

skim read it. missed the lack of chaintool.

its been a long day…

joshvegas
    Free Member

skim read it. missed the lack of chaintool.

its been a long day… apologies

fasthaggis

I have not snapped a chain in decades,but I cycle with a few chain abusers ,so I always carry a chain device and power links.
    I do know however ,that the one time I leave them at home … 😉

adeturner5
    Free Member

Always keep bare essentials, tube, tool, couple of links, pump, spare cleats in a pack and never ride without it. U wouldn’t forget your helmet or shoes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its any consolation, last year I rode about 15 miles to go have a play in some woods where there are some excellent trails. Only to suffer a puncture which then highlighted that my back tyre had a split in the sidewall, cue very gentle ride down and pootle back 5 miles on the road to nearest bike shop.
    Conditions were perfect too. Sods law.
    Also been planning for 3 months to go to BPW this sunday, cue me finding a crack on the FS bike last sunday whilst fettling it.
    Mad panic to swap all the bits over to my HT so I can at least ride something.

andyl
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus II with built in chain tool and a couple of spare links removed when fitting a new chain and 2 quick links in your pack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘tale of woe’ is closed to new replies.