Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talas travel adjust problems
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Got the bike out today for a ride to a mates 3miles away on the road and thought I would take advantage of the travel adjust. I turned the blue know 2 clicks and pushed the forks down to "lock" them down to 100mm. Got to the mates 25min later after jumping off a few curbs to realise the forks had extended back to the full. I thought nothing of it and had a cuppa and a chat. Got back to the bike to go home and thought if I just push the forks down they will adjust back to 100mm as before but they did not. I moved the dial back to 160mm and then back again to 100mm depressing the forks each time but no luck. I did notice that at the 100mm setting the rebound was really slow and then back to normal at 160mm.

My questions are many but first off:

1. Would perhaps jumping off a few normal curbs to my mates perhaps blown a seal? If so I had no noises or experienced no rapid rebound.

2. On my way home I popped into a LBS not my LBS but one I have used before and asked what they thought. I was told that the travel adjust knob shuts off a little valve that only allows the travel to go so far and that I may have blown an o-ring more than likely or perhaps a one way valve. The chap was not very sure.

3. I have had them about a year and not done many miles c100 and today for the first time gave them a service and noted that there was not as much oil inside as I put back so was wondering if this could be the problem..I have not yet reassembled the bike so can’t answer the question myself but thought low oil may be the problem but then why did they adjust first off on my trip to the mates.

4. Anyone else have this problem before.

Many thanks

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

"Bump"

stumpy01

I've only had my TALAS fork for about 2 months so not really too experienced with the technology, but I think the manual says you should store the forks upside down to lubricate the seals etc.

Do you store your bike upside down?

From the sound of it you don't ride very often, and the action of using the fork should get it all lubricated as the fork compresses.
    So, it could be some of the seals have got dry & now aren't working as they should?

stumpyjon

Hmm that's a bit odd. when mine failed they went the other way. They started off full travel and then over a series of hits dropped to 100mm, not good on a descent. Sounds like they need servicing. If they're out of warranty I recommend TFTuned. They fixed mine very efficiently. Will be expensive though (mine cost over £150 for the service and repairs parts needed), but then again the forks aren't cheap and to be honest many LBS aren't too good with TALAS forks. if they are still under warranty (less than a year old) get them back to MOJO.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, i have given them a good service and will get them back on the bike this evening i hope so should know if i have managed to fix the problem with just a service.

billyboy
    Free Member

Give the fork plenty of welly. I think it's called "loading". Stand above it and depress it vigourously numerous times. Then see if function returns. If it doesn't, get it serviced.

You do the same to humans when they stop working……ish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talas travel adjust problems’ is closed to new replies.