Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talas to Float Conversion on 2014 34's, Experiences ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 2014 Talas 34 for 18 months with few complaints but there is very fine line between running them too hard or having them sit too low in the travel, which is not surprising given the Psi you have to run them at. I’ve tried a few other bikes and fork combos recently and noticed how much more poppy they are at the front end and how much easier they are to lift and pre load for drops etc.

So, thinking I’ll have the Talas converted to a Float and was interested in hearing from anyone else who had similar issues and has done the conversion and what differences you noticed ?

Cheers…

excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone ?

or

Talas to Float conversion or new set of Pikes and sell the Talas, so anyone got experience between 34 Floats and Pikes ?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I had my 2012 36 160 Talas converted to float recently.

I had it done while they were in for service at Mojo.

A lot more small bump sensitivity overall. I now run slightly deeper in the sag with more low speed compression damping while still enjoying the improved sensitivity. I feel like I am using more of the fork than I had previously.
    Mojo set the forks up for my weight and the settings were way off what I was running as Talas, Previously I was running the low speed wide open with more preload than I should have to try and get the same sensitivity that I had with my old 32 Vanilla’s.
    They feel a lot more like what I was expecting them to now I have had the modification.

(I am certainly no expert in fork set up)

excitable1
    Free Member

Cheers Jeff,

..all sounds very similar to what I’ve found with the 2014 Talas. I still think the 2014 Talas are good and feel better than some much older Floats I had on another bike but then when I compared them recently to some 2015 Floats and Pikes I’ve realized how stiff they still are and what they’re lacking.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv just gone Float to TALAS
    The 2014 TALAS I think is great – It works in a completely different way to the old ones
    The TALAS bit is totally isolated from the air chamber now – so in either of the travel modes it works just like a float – do not sure what changing to float will do other than save a few grams

excitable1
    Free Member

Float to Talas !!?

I agree the 2014 Talas are better than the earlier Talas & indeed older Floats, but compared to other more recent Floats and Pikes I’ve tried they do feel stiff and don’t have as much pop and pre load ability when manualing drops etc. Perhaps it’s just a compromise to accept on a Talas fork (even on the 2014 versions) and I’m more suited to a Float.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Float to Talas !!?

I wanted it on my Ti hardtail
    Frame designed for 120mm but I just wanted a little extra for the DH
    Trouble is the bike is incredibly susceptible to front wheel lift off on steep climbs with anything even slightly above 120mm.

Also the new TALAS you can tailor both travel settings to exactly what you want….so I have 115mm and and about 138mm

I admit I wouldn’t want it on any other bike especially full-suss….but working great on the Cotic

excitable1
    Free Member

Ahh, makes perfect sense. Shorter travel Talas on a hardtail, yes, and riding my Cotic with a Float I completely understand the lift thing.

…but 150/130 Talas on a 150 travel FS bike isn’t working for me, too stiff for the big techy stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talas to Float Conversion on 2014 34's, Experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.