Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Talas to Float conversion
  • torihada
    Free Member

I want to convert my 2 yr old 32 Fox 140mm Talas to Float (they’re in need of a service as they’re FUBAR). I see MOJO have a kit (out of stock). Anyone had this conversion done by anyone; MOJO, TFTuned, LoCo? Thanks for any pointers.

waller
    Free Member

About to do it myself tonight 🙂 looks easy enough to do to be honest with the parts I got sent through. I also bought a few different travel reducers to tweak the fork if needed.

torihada
    Free Member

Waller: Where did you get your conversion kit from?

b45her
    Free Member

talas to float takes about 20 minutes to do, and costs 80-100 quid for the parts. best thing you can do to talas forks in my opinion.

waller
    Free Member

I got mine from mojo. think they are out of stock when I looked last night of the 140mm conversion kit. I checked as I thought I had bought the wrong one.

I have an aluminium cup in the kit and I was looking for instructions to check where it went. Couldn’t find anything so will assume it goes at the bottom of the fork in-between the bumper stop and the plastic bit at the bottom of the spring.

waller
    Free Member

Hope it improves them. I have a pair of vanillas and in comparison the Talas are cack. IMO of course 🙂

b45her
    Free Member

nah talas are cack full stop when ridden alongside floats or vans.

waller
    Free Member

I ride on the south downs so its mainly all small lumpy stuff which they have been dreadful at despite having them tf tuned and mucking about with their set up. I never use the travel adjust either.

Went out on my cross bike with rigid carbon forks last week and they did a better job than the talas for what I use them for. It did get me thinking that maybe I don’t really need front suspension at all.

cp

nah talas are cack full stop when ridden alongside floats or vans.

No, you’re wrong too. TALAS are just cack

LoCo
    Free Member

We do this on a fairly regular basis as alot of customer find they don’t use the Talas function, the conversion improves performance a bit and reduces weight a little too along with making them a little more reliable as there’s less going on inside the spring system.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I have some 2006 Talas 36’s (150 max travel ones) which seem to auto adjust reducing their travel (have heard of others doing this) – is this kit available and it it worth doing ? Should I just sell / write off the forks and replace, the forks have been quite lightly used despite their age (e.g. 3 of last 4 years hardly ridden) ?

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on the damper fitted to the 36s as they’re not servicable for much longer due to parts being in very short supply at present as Fox have discontinued the bladders.

torihada
    Free Member

waller – Member

I got mine from mojo. think they are out of stock when I looked last night of the 140mm conversion kit. I checked as I thought I had bought the wrong one.

I have an aluminium cup in the kit and I was looking for instructions to check where it went. Couldn’t find anything so will assume it goes at the bottom of the fork in-between the bumper stop and the plastic bit at the bottom of the spring.

Be good to hear how you got on; I’ve sourced the conversion kit from activesport plus the maintenance & seal kit. I assume you just pressed the seals in without using a special seal driver tool?

waller
    Free Member

Just finished it. Took about 20 mins. Worst bit was getting the spring clip thing out and then back in.

I just pushed the seals in and put 160ml in damper side and 40ml in air spring side with some float fluid on top of the white cap air spring thingamy. All good 🙂

On initial squidge test they feel much better 🙂

cp

interesting. Could be tempted to do mine… Could you post a first ride report?!

waller
    Free Member

Of course. Hopefully out tonight 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I’ve done two sets of talas so far both were vastly improved by the conversion, makes me ask why bother with talas in the first place.

Junkyard
    Free Member

because you cannot adjust your travel and I can

there is a minor hit for this but its an individuals choice

All out performance it is not the best choice but for adaptability of travel it is

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Talas to Float conversion’ is closed to new replies.