Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • TALAS owners –
  • twedspeed
    Free Member

Hi – can anyone give me quick run down on TALAS forks , I am looking for a 32 – 150 mm fork with adjustable ride height – and the 32 TALAS FIT RLC seems to fit the bill.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/product.php?m=bike&t=forks&p=32304&ref=filter

Would love to hear from TALAS owners – their experiences – opinions etc.
    Can you do it on the fly ? – Is it easy to do ? I don’t want to have to get off and back on again to change heights ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

easy enough to do on the fly but you do need to reach down to the left leg to do it but pretty much instant
    click and push down and it stays at the lower travel move the other way and it returns
    easy to do and can be done on the fly if not very bumpy /fast
    It is apparently less plush – responsive than non Talas forks but i cannot fault them in operation tbh.

footflaps

They are great for adjusting the head angle, eg I can’t get round tight switchback climbs with the fork on full travel, so drop it down to climb – all done riding along just by reaching down to the lever on the top of the fork.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Fantastic device, very useful on the climbs.

alexpalacefan

Love mine

APF

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Running a 2010 model on my Chumba, nice fork, simple to use, very plush 140mm travel and the travel adjust is easy to use.

Bullet

More than happy with mine on a Hustler – works a treat. Just put the low-friction SKF seals on them as well and lovely and smooth…

neninja
    Free Member

Running 2011 32 Talas RLC 110/140mm with Kashima.

Been really pleased with them. The 2 position travel adjuster on the newer version is so much easier to turn than the the 3 position adjusters on previous the Talas.

Recently upgraded to SKF seals and they’ve made the fork much more responsive to small bumps. I can’t fault them.

bigdaddy

Just got some with my new Epiphany, got to say I love them, the on the fly ajustablility is great. Can’t be faulted (I’ve only ridden them tice though!)

rickmeister

talas 36’s here, the old 150mm type with a million clicks at 3mm increments.

Use the wind down a lot, completely changes the feel of the bike up and down hill. On the fly wind downs are easy… wind outs need a wheelie to get them extended but its all good.

Finding the bump sensitivity less good fully wound out, better and more supple wound down a bit.

Love them and the bolt through 20mm stiff axle.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Im running the 2010 150mm RLC talas. Brill forks, great adjustability. These replaced previous 140 Revs and pikes.

AJames
    Free Member

Love mine, have needed a service once a year since new 3 years ago mind and can’t manual with em (36s),.

Bullet

Oh, and follow the regular ‘legs off, lube the foam rings’ instruction and the stantion anodizing doesn’t wear off either…

twedspeed
    Free Member

HI – Thanks for the replies everyone Very helpfull and I appreciate it – The reason I ask is I just bought the new 2012 Spesh Stumpy EVO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMZPbH4ug38–
    after spending 4 years on a 2007/8 Spesh Enduro SL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChJjGho6KY4
    Obviously they are both VERY different bikes – both having their own particular geometrys , Thing is the new STUMPY dosent climb the REALLY REALLY STEEP stuff as well as the old ENDURO did – I,m not on about cranking your way up to the top of a long fire road climb “the new EVO does that just fine” – I,m on about those short real chain snapping killer sections , maybe 30 – 50 yards where you gotta just beast it, and you think your thighs are gonna explode .
    On my old Enduro forks (E150) I had a 40mm drop down option and I allways used it on the killer climbs –
    The STUMPY feels a little too high at the bars sometimes – So I,m gonna try all manner of set ups , I.E. Flip the stem – flat bar – and obviously an adjustable height fork.
    I can still do thses killer sections on my new Stumpy BUT its harder work and the stumpy is 3 LB lighter ! , This is obviously down to the geometry So I thought an adjustable height TALAS might help. I know I ve opened a can of worms by asking this question , So lets keep the replies “on topic”
    Cheers.

neninja
    Free Member

My bike tends to wander a little on steep sections but dropping my elbows down will counter that pretty much every time.

d45yth
    Free Member

One thing to watch out for with Talas is how much it lowers your BB when in the low setting. I find I only use it on really steep but quite smooth terrain…anything technical and I catch my pedals. Of course this only a problem on bikes with already low B/B’s anyway but I think the Evo’s is low? I now end up using mine with full travel most of the time and my technique has improved to the point where I can just about ride up most of what I used to do with the fork lowered.
    IMHO I think the older 3 postion Talas design was better than the new 2 position one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘TALAS owners –’ is closed to new replies.