Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Taking two children out for a ride on one bike?
  • bubs

Hello,
    How do you go about doing this? My oldest is on a tag-along and my youngest is currently on a front mounted child seat but I find I don’t have much room to actually pedal. Is there a rear mounted child seat that will work with the tag-along? The children both love going out on the bike and so I don’t want to have to take them out separately
    Thanks.

TiRed

Well I had a kiddyback tandem with a childseat on the back. A Circe tandem will also work. When they grew, I added a tagalong to the tandem. Fantastic until you reach an uphill, although I did ride the Blenheim Bike festival (about 30 miles) in the Cotswolds with this set up. Hardest bike ride I can recall.

Bez

Get a bakfiets 🙂

Or a Follow-Me Tandem coupling will work with any rear child seat, whether it mounts via the seat tube or a rack.

bubs

The bakfiets look amazing but I’d probably end up having to carry the wife and dog too. I hadn’t heard of the follow-me tandem and so thanks for the recommendation.

garage-dweller

Follow me is ace. Well worth the asking price and Customer service when we bought it was top drawer. Unlike another northern retailer I am waiting for stuff from. :@

yunki
    Free Member

Follow me looks great..

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Mac Ride will be here soon apparently. Depends on age of kids but I’ve seen them in action and they’re amazing:

http://www.mac-ride.com

takisawa2

Kona Ute.

ji
    Free Member

I used to take three on one bike – the twins in a trailer behind and my daughter on a rear mounted seat. Had one hairy moment on a sharp steep up when the front wheel came off the ground and I couldn’t get it down, nor get off the bike. Was rescued by a dog walker!

Kept me fit….

Bez

Mm, rear seats are a bit of an issue if you’re doing more than just pootling on flat and smooth paths, IMO. The high centre of gravity can be hard to control and if the bike topples, the kid’s inevitably going to smack their head hard and sideways. I’ve only used ours when there’s been two of us on hand to keep things steady when stopped. YMMV.

pictonroad

what he said, Kona Minute cheap from CRC. Fits a wee-ride on the front and you can pedal normally, a revelation after the old John Wayne wide knee approach I’ve been used to. That and another one on the capacious cargo area at the back.

It’s what they’re designed for.

This is not me….

laikax695
    Free Member

Get a tandem – seriously, I was in same boat as you and me and the wife loved cycling but hated tag alongs and child seats and all the riding compromises that go with it. So we got a cheap tandem, tidied it up and tried it out – perfect, could go anywhere and kids loved it, so bought a second cheapish tandem (new) and now the four of us are as happy as pigs in sh*t. Recently laid out large number on a proper MTB Tamdem and its the bollocks – serious fun with the kids on board.

tonyd

How old is the youngest? I moved mine from a WeeRide Kangaroo to a LOCT, eldest rides on the back on an Islabike trailerbike – attached to a rack so a bit more stable. It might work with a Hamax type rear mounted seat but as above I’d avoid them (personal preference).

LOCT are hard to come by but you can get cheaper solutions on CRC for about £20.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oxford-leco-top-tube-seat-universal/rp-prod83025

Longer term tandems would be brilliant but I might end up living in a bedsit.

bubs

I don’t have room for “another” bike and so a mac-ride or LOCT look perfect to give me a little more room for pedalling. The CRC one looks a bit ropey and so I will try and hunt down one of the above.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

ianpv
    Free Member

just resurrecting this thread – I carry a 2.5 and 4 yr old to nursery up a great big hill in Bristol on my minute, and the kids love it. I has one those cheap oxford front seats with pointless backrest chopped off:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Taking two children out for a ride on one bike?’ is closed to new replies.